Failed to install DeviceAgent Error when running tests in iOS Simulator

brijmitchellbrijmitchell USMember ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Xamarin.iOS

In Visual Studio for Mac Beta i am getting the following error when trying to run a test against a iPhone Simulator

SetUp : Calabash.XDB.Core.Exceptions.DeviceAgentException : Failed to install DeviceAgent

ExitCode: 5

-a,--app-bundle <path/to/app-bundle.app>    Path .app bundle (for .ipas, unzip and look inside of 'Payload')
    -c,--codesign-identity  <codesign-identity> [OPTIONAL]  Identity used to codesign app bundle [device only]  DEFAULT=
    -d,--device-id  <device-identifier> iOS Simulator GUIDs
    -u,--update-app <true-or-false> [OPTIONAL]  When true, will reinstall the app if the device contains an older version than the bundle specified DEFAULT=1
install

Error installing com.apple.test.DeviceAgent-Runner to CCBFC7AA-CC40-4D3B-81E6-9B25E15EB352: Error Domain=com.facebook.FBSimulatorControl Code=0 "Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/ny/n2rxlyr92dd_n4ktndrzcbd0qtmb3p/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/ny/n2rxlyr92dd_n4ktndrzcbd0qtmb3p/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])}
false
TearDown : System.NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Versions
XCODE - 8.3
Xamarin.UITests - 2.0.7
Xamarin.TestCloud.Agent - 0.20.3

MacOS Sierra - 10.12.3

This might have something to do with the Xamarin.IOS update that was released today....10.6 (29th March 2017)

Although i am unsure on how to roll back.

Thanks for your help in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• brijmitchellbrijmitchell USMember ✭✭

This is now not working in Xamarin Studio, something updated this morning.
    Need to figure out what happened.

Accepted Answer

Reverting back to Xamarin.iOS 10.6 and Xcode 8.2 fixed this problem.

You can get Xamarin SDK from here - https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

To downgrade your Xcode, move it to trash.

Go to the apple dev downloads page - https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

Unzip the Xcode download and drop it in Applications and then restart your machine.

I was then able to execute my tests against an iPhone simulator.

• BJAberleBJAberle USMember

Exact same issue here!!

• yolamukayyolamukay USMember

hey everyone, I found a solution to this problem, all you have to do is open xamarin studio on your mac, then click the Xamarin Studio Community Tab and select then Check for Updates option, download the all the updates and you are good to go o:) Let me know if this helps :)

@yolamukay this is what broke it? Have they released a fix?

• yolamukayyolamukay USMember
    edited April 2017

@brijmitchell I first got this error after updating my windows xamarin studio, I could not run the iPhone Simulator test, but after installing the new xamarin studio update on my mac everything was working fine. try updating both your pc and mac xamarin studio that might fix the problem

@yolamukay said:
    @brijmitchell I first got this error after updating my windows xamarin studio, I could not run the iPhone Simulator test, but after installing the new xamarin studio update on my mac everything was working fine. try updating both your pc and mac xamarin studio that might fix the problem

I am only working on a mac, i am a bit reluctant to update at the moment until as i need to crack on. Will have a look at updating again soon.

• NPDInnovationNPDInnovation USMember

Is this issue fixed by Xamarin I even had the same problem can any one update about this bug?

• AngeloValerioAngeloValerio USMember

Facing the same issue even after updating the Xamarin packages.
    Calabash.XDB.Core.Exceptions.DeviceAgentException : Failed to install DeviceAgent

-a,--app-bundle <path/to/app-bundle.app>    Path .app bundle (for .ipas, unzip and look inside of 'Payload')
        -c,--codesign-identity  <codesign-identity> [OPTIONAL]  Identity used to codesign app bundle [device only]  DEFAULT=
        -u,--update-app <true-or-false> [OPTIONAL]  When true, will reinstall the app if the device contains an older version than the bundle specified DEFAULT=1
    install

Error installing com.apple.test.DeviceAgent-Runner to CA38F08E-48E4-42B4-A95B-10E125EF389D: Error Domain=com.facebook.FBSimulatorControl Code=0 "Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/k4/tbtd5sxj3z1906tt634sqc9w0000gn/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/k4/tbtd5sxj3z1906tt634sqc9w0000gn/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])}
    false

• AngeloValerioAngeloValerio USMember

Facing the same issue even after updating the Xamarin packages.
    Calabash.XDB.Core.Exceptions.DeviceAgentException : Failed to install DeviceAgent

install

Error installing com.apple.test.DeviceAgent-Runner to CA38F08E-48E4-42B4-A95B-10E125EF389D: Error Domain=com.facebook.FBSimulatorControl Code=0 "Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/k4/tbtd5sxj3z1906tt634sqc9w0000gn/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Simulator does not support any of the architectures ([x86_64, i386]) of the executable at /var/folders/k4/tbtd5sxj3z1906tt634sqc9w0000gn/T/xdb/DeviceAgent.iOS.Dependencies/54daf9e58e37a80353a99c2b3139b615/app/DeviceAgent-Runner.app/XCTRunner. Simulator Archs ([(null)])}
    false