Is anybody dog fooding on Profiler?

MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭
edited March 29 in Profiler

I don't get it. (For me) the Profiler (stable, 1.2.0.6) is unusable.
Performance profiling (allocation + time) is slow as hell, UI is blocking all the time. And once, after minutes of waiting, when you select the interval you want, it crashes.
Plus the Time Profiler shows spikes, not a fluid line of CPU usage.
Or is it just me?

PS. I know, this post isn't very technical.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

It looks like the slowness and crashing was fixed in current 1.4.0 version. Not sure about the CPU usage spikes.

More info. Even though I installed VS2017 that was supposed to install the latest profiler, I somehow ended up with 1.2.x.
    I guess because I had it installed before installing VS2017, not really sure. why.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @MihaMarkic !

profiler 1.4.0 has been released to the Xamarin channels, but not yet, AFAIK, to the VS 2017 update channels.

Also, we have indeed fixed lots of issues in 1.4.0 compared to 1.2.x (see https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/profiler/profiler-1.4/profiler-1.4.0/), so that might explain why it works better for you, if the problems you mention were the ones we fixed.

About who's dogfooding the profiler, we have a QA team that does a lot of testing on our builds before they get released, but there are so many scenarios to cover (different devices, OSes, etc) that it's very hard to cover all of them, so to improve this, we are always asking people for feedback. So please keep giving us as much feedback as possible, and, if possible, do it via Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.xamarin.com), since that would get our attention faster than the forum.

Sure, as you saw I posted few bugs that really shouldn't get past Q&A IMO as they are straightforward and easily spotted.