Forum Xamarin.Android

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

How can I wipe my Android phone before selling?

I wanna sell my old Android phone (Samsung S5) on ebay, I know I need to delete my personal data and restore my phone to factory, but I saw many articles say that the data could be easily recovered by some recovery tools even delete or factory reset the device. So, is this true? and how can I completely erase my Android phone without recovery?

Tagged:

Answers

• There is not a 100% way to remove your data. You can overwrite it multiple times to make it more complex but a restore is always possible - except you total destroy the flash cells. But in 99.99% of all possible cases, format the device a few times should do enough.

• themacduythemacduy USMember

I agree with Sebastian's advice. You have to write random data to fill the disk a couple of times or the data is still recoverable on Android devices.

• SenriousSenrious BSMember

@themacduy said:
    I agree with Sebastian's advice. You have to write random data to fill the disk a couple of times or the data is still recoverable on Android devices.

it seems to a be nice idea, but how can i write random data to my Android phone?

• mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭
    Root your device and flash the factory image or a custom ROM. Not always a trivial process, but it should meet the 100% test.

Details can be found at https://www.xda-developers.com/
    Go to the discussion for your device, maybe some helpful info there.
  • OassfterOassfter ASMember
    edited April 2017

Of coures, you need to wipe all the Android files before you selling, now.Science and technology developed, even if you think you have deleted the data from your Andord phone , but the files can be found with recovery tool , so , you have to wipe then by using eraser tool ,in only way , the deleted files without any chance to be back

• aaravaarav INMember ✭✭

@Senrious I m sorry to say u asked a wrong question in the wrong platform u should try quora for this

@Oassfter said:
    Of coures, you need to wipe all the Android files before you selling, now.Science and technology developed, even if you think you have deleted the data from your Andord phone , but the files can be found with recovery tool , so , you have to wipe then by using eraser tool ,in only way , the deleted files without any chance to be back

I tried it but it seems doesn't identify my phone when I connect to PC.

@Oassfter said:

I tried it but it seems doesn't identify my phone when I connect to PC.

@Senrious said:

@themacduy said:

it seems to a be nice idea, but how can i write random data to my Android phone?

Here is a tutorial that comes with step-by-step instructions: https://www.safewiper.com/tutorials/android-data-eraser.html

@Senrious said:

@themacduy said:

Here is a tutorial that comes with step-by-step instructions: https://www.safewiper.com/tutorials/android-data-eraser.html

• fennafenna ATMember
    edited May 2017

If you need to delete data from your device completely, use an android data eraser tool, I think that is helpful.
    You can erase all data without possibility to recover them, but remember to backup them first.

• kellyiee233kellyiee233 CNMember

It is true that the deleted data could be easily recovered by some powerful recovery tools. But there is still a way to avoid recovering. Using a third party software, like android privacy eraser might be your best choice to completely erase your Android phone. If you have any important data, back them up in advance.

• kokiakokia USMember
    edited August 2017

Yes, you are right. The data deleted or factory set can be easily recovered by pro Android data recovery program. To wipe all your Android phone before selling, the easiest way is using Android data eraser program. With its help, all data and personal information can be easily wiped without recovery.

• xamarinxxamarinx SAMember ✭✭

You can easily delete your data from your phone such as

After you restore your phone to the factory, take a video with your camera until you fill your memory.

So you have deleted data and inserted a file over it you will not find the previous files.

This method is tested and works perfectly.

• But never ever sell your old Android phone on an impulse! To safely sell you old Android phone at the most of the money, there are two important things you need to do: backup important files and permanently erase personal files.

Aside from backing up important files in case of sudden data losses, you also need to wipe out personal files from Android phones to guard against personal information leak. Then this Android Data Eraser is surely your top choice. It enables you to permanently erase personal files like contacts, messages, private photos and many more from Android phones in an easy way, with zero possibility of being recovered.

• BillyBeckhamBillyBeckham Member

But never ever sell your old Android phone on an impulse! To safely sell you old Android phone at the most of the money, there are two important things you need to do: backup important files and permanently erase personal files.
    To backup important files, a professional assistant can't be missed, such as this MobiKin Android Assistant. With this software, you are able to transfer anything from Android phone to computer, including contacts and messages which can't be easily accessed without a professional tool. No matter how many files you want to transfer from Android phone to the computer, it can always help do it within simple clicks.

• MonicacokeMonicacoke Member ✭✭

If your phone or tablet is running 5.0 Lollipop or higher, Android device protection or Factory Reset Protection (FRP) may be activated. This feature will make it impossible for newbie owners to use the phone because they can't activate the phone without entering a previously used Google account and password.
    If you plan to sell equipment or transfer to another owner, you will need to deactivate FRP.
    If your device is running an earlier version of Android without FRP, skip to step 4.
    1. Turn off all screen locks. Go to Settings > Security or Lock screen security > Screen lock and change the type to None.
    2. Remove your Google Account from your device. Go to Settings > Users & Accounts, tap your account, and delete.
    3. If you have a Samsung device, you can also delete your Samsung account from your phone or tablet.
    4. Now you can erase the device by restoring the factory settings. However, this usually only cleans up application-level data, and some standard data recovery tools can be used to restore other information (such as SMS and chat messages).
    These are the steps you need to erase data before you are an Android phone.

• stephanicstephanic USMember ✭✭

Before selling phone, it is important to wipe away every data so that others cannot access them. For this, many users do factory reset to clean data from device. But sometimes, this factory reset does not work effectively and the data can be recovered using third party tool.
    So to avoid such situation, I will suggest you to use [Android Data Eraser], one of the best and effective tool to delete Android phone permanently before selling. This tool don't give any option to restore the files once they are deleted. Its an easy to use tool and provides effective results.