"Sharing" MacOS Android SDK, NDK & JDK with VS2017 on Parallels VM

mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭

Hi. I have my MacOS dev env set up w/all the Android bits.

I also have W10 in a Parallels VM on the same Macbook Pro, with VS 2017. I installed the Mobile dev with .NET workload, but without the optional selections. In VS, I want to configure Tools -> Options -> Xamarin -> Android Settings to point to the SDK, NDK & JDK install locations that were configured when I set up XS on MacOS. These are mapped to the Z: drive on Windows.

Has anyone done anything like this? I can set up and connect to the Xamarin Mac Agent in the VS Xamarin iOS Settings, but trying to select the Android Settings makes VS non-responsive. I might try to install one or more of the Android options and maybe uninstall after changing the settings, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone's done this. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭

So I guess the SDK/JDK are platform-specific. I wanted to do this mainly to conserve disk space. What I get for only getting a 250 GB SSD Mac.

I went ahead and installed the SDK & JDK on Windows and will just use a physical Android device w/VS. I've tried an emulator in a VM before on this Mac, it wasn't pretty.

• mikeacostamikeacosta USUniversity ✭✭✭
    Awesome, I need to do a better job Googling. I'll try this later tonight. Thanks for your help!
  • JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

My Pleasure