.NET Framework/Standard Version Supported

KevinWongKevinWong CAMember ✭✭

What component determines what .NET Framework or .NET Standard version is supported? Is it Xamarin Studio itself, or Xamarin.Android/Xamarin.iOS? For example, if we're running a old versions of all of the pieces of Xamarin, and want to update so we can include libraries targeting .NET Standard 1.6, should we update Xamarin Studio, or Xamarin.Android/Xamarin.iOS, or all? I.e., where is the web page that maps Xamarin component (small "C") versions to the .NET library versions they support?

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 DEMember ✭✭

What exactly is your issue? You have to update everything. Xamarin.Android has to support .NET Standard for build-time support, while Xamarin Studio has to support it so you can even open the project and build it.

• KevinWongKevinWong CAMember ✭✭

Thanks much for the reply.

Well, we're trying to use a particular 3rd party lib (Moq) that says it supports .NET Standard 1.3. We were having some problems running it on iOS, and thought we might need to update Xamarin to properly support .NET Standard. I suppose I'm confused as to which Xamarin pieces do what. Is XS just an IDE, or does it also entail the build environment and runtime bundling? I come from the Java world where an IDE like Eclipse does not entail the Java build or runtime environment; instead you specify those on a per-project basis, i.e., upgrading Eclipse doesn't cause my project to suddenly target a new runtime.

Also, if XS DOES entail the build env and runtime, how much of that is determined by XS itself, and how much is determined by Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.Android? One could imagine a world where upgrading JUST Xamarin.iOS (without upgrading XS) would change the .NET build environment and the runtime bundled into the resulting iOS application. From your reply it sounds like that is not the case, but I wanted to confirm.