When will we have c# 7 support in Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio for Mac?

Now that VS2017 has been announced, and the latest Workbook support c# 7, when will this be available for use in Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio.Mac?

Answers

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

In case it helps, this was answered by Miguel on Twitter:

• valdeterovaldetero USInsider, University ✭✭
  • MassimoLaSpinaMassimoLaSpina USMember ✭✭

Current version of Xamarin Studio (6.3) for Windows is still not supporting C#7

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭

@MassimoLaSpina said:
    Current version of Xamarin Studio (6.3) for Windows is still not supporting C#7

Xamarin Studio for Windows was discontinued over a year ago. On Windows use Visual Studio, on Mac use Visual Studio for Mac.

edited October 18

@JohnHair latest version of Xamarin Studio for Windows is dated April 6, 2017 (which is roughly 6 months ago, definitely not over an year...). I am still using it because it is quite stable, lightweight and complete. It also appears to be much more reactive than Visual Studio, and quicker in debug mode (when hitting breakpoints, stepping into/over...).
    Moreover, it offers a key feature for me (which in Visual Studio is not available): relaunching an app deployed to phisical or virtual device without building/redeploying if no code changes are made. This allows me to find/fix bugs which are causing crashes much more quickly than if I would use Visual Studio. I would rate the support of C#7 as a "nice to have" feature for Xamarin Studio, but the lack of it is definetly not a reason to switch to Visual Studio.

@MassimoLaSpina You are quite correct actually, it was discontinued this year.
    But my point remains, it is a discontinued and will not be updated. You must move to using Visual Studio to ensure you can still build with the latest and greatest mobile OSes provides.

@JohnHair I don't really understand your last sentence (it's not clear if you refer to C# version, latest mobile sdk support or Xamarin Version).

In any case, it's not true I must move to Visual Studio. I could do it but I won't, because of the following reasons:

• Visual Studio, as I explained in my previous post, does not allow to relaunch the app without building/redeploying
    • debug performance/responsivity of Visual Stusio appears to be worse than Xamarin Studio
    • C#7 features are not so important for me
    • I can still update Xamarin to latest version (even if Xamarin Studio is no longer supported)

Ok, that is your choice. But Xamarin Studio:

• Is not supported
    • Will not be updated (no bug fixes, no support for newer Android versions etc). Newer versions of Xamarin often require an update to the tooling.

Your point about Visual Studio not allowing relaunch, you must be doing something wrong or have a config issue of some kind, as I don't experience that. I suggest you focus on resolving that.

So, good luck with your strategy.

edited October 20

@JohnHair I have been using Visual Studio in the past, until an update caused serious performance issues (you can find some information here https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/277519 ). I that period I started using Xamarin Studio and I found it is so much better (because of the reasons explained in my previous messages). Based on that experience, I also think that no updates at all is better than buggy updates. Please also note that I am working on a Xamarin.Android project and I still had to use Android Studio to create the layouts (because of the buggy axml editor bundled with Visual Studio).

Last but not least, the issue with relaunching: rather than pointing our that I am doing something wrong, you'd better describe the correct configuration. Please note that I am having this issue even with default configuration on a template project, so I think that is not my error but just default behavior of Visual Studio that is different from Xamarin Studio. Since you are surprised that a relaunch of a Xamarin.Android application in debug mode is requiring build/redeploy, please tell me how should I configure Visual Studio to achieve the expected behavior. Thank you.

@MassimoLaSpina Ha! Got to love it, you try to help people, they flag your posts as abuse because you don't help them enough or they won't accept the obvious. In no way did I abuse you. Feel free to disagree, we are all allowed to disagree with each other. But nothing I said was abuse.
    As I said, good luck to you.

edited October 20

@JohnHair I flag your posts as abusive because you are saying what I must do instead of suggesting a solution of the problem I described.

You say you helped me, but I don't see any help coming from your messages.

No suggestions from you, apart from using Visual Studio (which is missing a key feature I need).

Just to quote some of your sentences:

• "On Windows use Visual Studio" (I did, and had problems with)
    • "You must move to using Visual Studio"
    • "you must be doing something wrong" (without saying what)

Very helpful, indeed...

@MassimoLaSpina What will you do in 2 years? 5? Still on Xamarin Studio? That would be nonsense.
    Also, if you are going to quote me please ensure you keep the entire quote, not just the part that suits your argument. I said you are doing something wrong or have a configuration issue. Perfectly valid statement. Not abuse.

If you resolve the issues you have with Visual Studio, like I suggested, then I would have been helpful as you didn't appear to be considering that. I was not being abusive just because I didn't tell you what you are doing wrong or what your config issue issue. That is your job to resolve, not mine.