Am I the only one who has problems with Xamarin 6.2?

After updating:

• Intellisense and/or document outline doesn't work. I see an icon saying "gathering class information", which takes forever. Once I've waited > 15 minutes without any progress.
  • I'm regularly getting a LoopCompiler exception.
  • SVN doesn't work anymore.
  • Often breakpoint don't work.
  • When an exception occurs, XS jump to the wrong code-line in a total different class then where the error actually occurs.
  • In general everything is noticeably slower.
  • Sign in to Microsoft account doesn't work. I get a blank window with a continuous spinning activity indicator.
  • Etc. etc.

After downgrading to 6.1 (January 28) these problems are gone.

VS Preview does work much better, but with this I get other problems, so that's not a safe option.

Am I the only one?

• DexxeDexxe Bruno Jorge USMember

Hi John,

No, I'm having problems too after upgrade to Visual Studio for Mac Preview 4.

The Intellisense stop working after adding a new file to the solution.

Can someone verify what is wrong?

Thanks.

• mattwardmattward Matt Ward GBMember Xamurai

@Dexxe - There is a bug in Visual Studio for Mac preview 4 affecting new files added to .NET Core projects. Reloading the solution should fix the problem.

• John_John_ John Far USMember

FYI: I'm talking about Xamarin Studio 6.2; not VS Preview.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger Jon Goldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

@John_

Thanks for reporting these issues. The best thing here would be to get bug reports filed for each issue where needed.

@John_ said:
    After updating:

• Intellisense and/or document outline doesn't work. I see an icon saying "gathering class information", which takes forever. Once I've waited > 15 minutes without any progress.

I was not able to reproduce this. Did you clean and rebuild your project after you updated? This is generally a good idea after any update to frameworks, nuget packages, etc. I might even go so far as to delete all of the bin and obj folders in your solution.

If doing that does not help then you should get a bug report filed complete with logs. Bugs in Cycle 9 (current stable) can be filed at:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?release=C9
    Here are the guidelines for filing a bug report: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/page.cgi?id=bug-writing.html
    You will have to create an account on that system if you have not already done so. There is a check box above the Submit button to set the bug as private.

Please include your ide logs collected shortly after the issue occurs. You can open the log directory in Xamarin Studio with the menu Help->Open Log Directory. If you could then zip up all of the ide..log files and attach to the bug report, that would be very helpful.

• I'm regularly getting a LoopCompiler exception.

It would help to see the actual exception and get some info on when this is occurring, i.e. some steps to reproduce the issue. But a clean and rebuild as noted above may help here as well.

• SVN doesn't work anymore.

This is a known issue and a bug report is already filed. It was set as private by the bug reporter so I can not link you to it at this time, but there are other discussions on this issue on the forums:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/89566/svn-not-working-on-latest-version-of-xs-6-2#latest
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/67690/svn-broken-in-xamarin-studio-6-0#latest
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/89626/xamarin-studio-community-version-control#latest

• Often breakpoint don't work.

More info would be good, but a clean and rebuild as noted above may help here as well.
    Are you debugging to device or sim when this happens?
    Are the breakpoints in the app project or in a referenced project, like a PCL or other library project?

• When an exception occurs, XS jump to the wrong code-line in a total different class then where the error actually occurs.

A clean and rebuild might help here as well. More info would be good if that does not help.
    Is the code in a library project or the app project itself?

• In general everything is noticeably slower.

I will pass this observation on to the Xamarin Studio team.

• Sign in to Microsoft account doesn't work. I get a blank window with a continuous spinning activity indicator.

I could not reproduce this as I got a dialog and could enter my MSDN credentials, but it is my understanding that signing in with MSDN credentials is not fully implemented yet.

• ArndtTimoArndtTimo Arndt Timo DEMember
    edited March 16

@John_ said:
    After updating:

Exactly the same problem here - "gathering class information"- icon stays there forever. After downgrade to 6.1.5 it work's again. Any ideas

• ArndtTimoArndtTimo Arndt Timo DEMember

@John_ I switched to the beta channel with Xamarin Studio 6.3. and removed MFractor from the AddIns. Now it's working again.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger Jon Goldberger USXamarin Team, University Xamurai

This is the new public facing bug for the SVN issue: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=53324

• Matthew-RobbinsMatthew-Robbins Matthew Robbins AUInsider ✭✭

@ArndtTimo The issue with MFractor conflicting with XS 6.2 was fixed a few weeks ago. Are you still seeing it?

• John_John_ John Far USMember

I'm not using any addins other than those that are standard installed with XS; so I'm not using MFractor.

Xamarin is a joke for me. It is that my employer wants me to use it, but otherwise I would run away from it. I'm really pissed. This sh..t has lost a lot of time for me. It's unprofessional garbage.

• AGAIN debugging isn't working. Breakpoints aren't hit. Sometimes downgrading to 6.1 would solve this, but now not. Now I'm digging in several forum posts going back to 2015. 2015 !!!!!!!! How can this still be an issue when people are complaining about it since at least 2015?
    • Installing 6.2 introduces a permanent CPU of 70-130%! Unbelievable.
    • Installing 6.3 or VS Preview gives issues with not saving code changes (repeated "reload" warnings).
    • Memory leaks. Wow. Within a 1-2 hours memory usage of XS is almost 1,2-1,5 GB!

I can't believe that Xamarin is tested. How can you call 6.2 a "stable" version and then, oops, version control isn't working. Really?

It's 2017 and I'm using a "modern" development tool in which I must debug using Debug.Print all over the place instead of breakpoint etc. Something that was working in Turbo Pascal (1980's).

• RichardWoollcottRichardWoollcott Richard Woollcott GBUniversity

I've also experienced serious performance problems with Xamarin Studio 6.2 to the point where it was unusable and have now reverted back to 6.1.5.

I've created a bug for this here:- https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=53838