Forum Visual Studio
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Remote iOS simulator does not accept mouse/keyboard input

VernonChinVernonChin CAMember ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Visual Studio

Hi,

I have been trying to use the remote simulator on Visual Studio 2015 / Windows 7 with latest stable channel Xamarin on both my Windows machine and MacOS Sierra. My project (arcgis-runtime-samples-dotnet) runs in the simulator but my mouse clicks do nothing. In fact, the only thing that the remote simulator window is capable of doing properly is rotation - none of the other functions seem to do anything. This is also the case with our enterprise application, if it actually built and deployed.

The Mac has latest Xcode and is running iOS 10.2 simulator. If I deploy and run/debug the simulator build on the Mac itself, everything is fine.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

EDIT: I have now discovered that the mouse input is still on the simulator window on the Mac, so while the display is frozen, mouse clicks on the Mac actually control the remote app on Windows :expressionless:

Answers

• DaveYDaveY USUniversity ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Yes, I just installed, restarted vs.net and the simulator comes up (I am using the latest released vs.net 2017). I have the exact issue that you have. I am trying to find a resolution..nothing found yet.

No that i have this issue with remote ios simulator, i am having a hard time getting it to work back on the mac. uugh how to get back to it working again (on the mac). hmm

• VernonChinVernonChin CAMember ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I have found that not launching the simulator on the Mac makes this condition go away.

Whether the remote simulator option is checked or not, does not affect the 'Show iOS Simulator' button on the VS toolbar. That you should not click the button if you are running remote simulator, is not really made clear to the user.

Can you please try this (kill your simulator on the Mac) and see if it also fixes your problem? I have also since gone back to the stable channel from beta.

• CliffCawleySkeduloCliffCawleySkedulo USMember ✭✭

I can confirm that closing the Simulator before launching on Windows allows the clicks to work.

I had the same issue and thanks to this thread was able to overcome it :smile:

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

All this I should attribute to the instability in Xamarin Technologies. Probably I can't blame Xamarin totally. The excessively closed mindset of major platforms is the main reason for a technology that aims at serving all of them in one platform.

I too faced this issue of not able to click on the remoted iOS simulator on Windows. Why, some times I am turning the wheels in a DatePicker on Windows simulator and I hear the ticks from Mac.

To be frank I don't know how I resolved it. Several reboots, upgrades and reconnects might have done the trick. And all these are not based on any logic (based on which we are supposed to code).

As of now, for me, the remoted iOS simulator on Windows works well even if the simulator is open on Mac. And unfortunately the 'Show iOS Simulator' toolbar button in VS does open the simulator on Mac. That is for sure.