Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

The "ConvertPdbToMdb" task failed unexpectedly

I'm getting the "ConvertPdbToMdb" task failed unexpectedly error and can see in the output that the exception is:
Pdb2Mdb.PortablePdbNotSupportedException: Exception of type 'Pdb2Mdb.PortablePdbNotSupportedException' was thrown.
Searching for that exception only leads to mono implementation on github:
https://github.com/mono/mono/blob/master/mcs/tools/pdb2mdb/Driver.cs

From what i understand, the conversion of pdb files to mdb fails because some of my pdb's are portable (.net core?). Can anybody point me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• DennisRasmussenDennisRasmussen DKMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I found the solution after a significant amount of blind trial and error. My project was referencing a .NET Standard library, i converted that to a shared project and now it works.

Answers

Interestingly, when building my Android project, i get two OutOfMemoryExecptions. Perhaps they are related to my IOS issue? Certainly both revolves around pdb files.
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : at Microsoft.Cci.Pdb.MsfDirectory..ctor(PdbReader reader, PdbFileHeader head, BitAccess bits)
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : at Microsoft.Cci.Pdb.PdbFile.LoadFunctions(Stream read, BitAccess bits, Boolean readAllStrings)
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : at Microsoft.Cci.Pdb.PdbFile.LoadFunctions(Stream read, Boolean readAllStrings)
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : at Pdb2Mdb.Converter.Convert(String filename)
    Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(1527,2): warning : at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ConvertDebuggingFiles.Execute()

Accepted Answer

I found the solution after a significant amount of blind trial and error. My project was referencing a .NET Standard library, i converted that to a shared project and now it works.