Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Referencing Android Libraries - impact on device compatibility

PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

Forms finally lifted the hardcoded dependency on the outdated 23.3.* libraries for Android, which will allow us to use new features in Android. Yay! As far as I can tell, there's two stable versions out: 32.961 and 42.1001.

However, I don't really understand the impact of referencing these libraries with regards to being able to deploy to older Android devices. Is there a direct correlation (e.g. if I use 42.1001, only users with Android Nougat will be able to use my app, while using 32.961 would allow me to target users back to KitKat or something similar)?

Thanks for the clarification
Philipp

Tagged:

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps, I did the update through Visual Studio NuGet package manager. That means Form 2.3.3.193 and Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx version 25.1.1 - and to my surprise it worked.

It was on a basic test solution compiled against Android 7 but with a minimum version of 4 and ran on a device using 5.1.1.
    Screen shots and details here.

I don't know where you're seeing the versions of 32 and 42 as stated in your post, but I think if i you stick with the versions showing as available through Visual Studio it should be safe - until we hear reports otherwise.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

Sorry, that was not clear - I'm referring to the Google Play Services libraries, e.g. this one here:
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Places/