Xamarin Studio for Mac crashes after latest update

I did the latest update for mac and it crashed in between. Xamarin Studio was corrupted and could not open. I then downloaded the Xamarin studio installer and ran it to fix it. After updating, I again ran Xamarin Studio. This time it ran, but whenever I try to open a new/existing solution, it crashes.

Please find the crash log below (full log attached as file). It would be of great help if anybody can help me in fixing this. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall again?

Process: XamarinStudio [660]
Path: /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/XamarinStudio
Identifier: com.xamarin.xamarinstudio
Version: 6.2.0.1821 (6.2.0.1821)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: XamarinStudio [660]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-02-24 08:28:08.774 +0530
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.3 (16D32)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 30C5917B-1E7B-96A2-7EC3-BD2B0CA5ACCB

Time Awake Since Boot: 360 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 GUI Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000030
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

External Modification Warnings:
Debugger attached to process.

VM Regions Near 0x30:
-->
__TEXT 0000000102b64000-0000000102b68000 [ 16K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/XamarinStudio

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: GUI Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Best Answer

Answers

• Sree_Prakash_SSree_Prakash_S INUniversity

Visual Studio for mac (preview) is also crashing. Should be same issue. Crash log attached

• toniObjecttoniObject USMember

I have the same problem with Xamarin Studio after updating. If I select an existing project then the IDE freezes and crashes.

• spaceMonsterspaceMonster USMember ✭✭

Third...
    For me Xamarin Studio and alos Visual Studio for MAC Crash on Solution load (makes no difference if i open a simple console app solution or my complicated ios/android solution)

I have Xamarin Studio 6.2 (Build 1821)

Log is attached.

Here is the critical bit i guess:

Can't load string bundle for /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/Resources/lib/monodevelop/bin/ServiceHub/controller/clientResourceStrings.js
    ERROR [2017-02-27 11:01:52Z]: An unhandled exception has occured. Terminating Xamarin Studio? False
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Success
      at Microsoft.ServiceHub.Utility.SocketClient+<ConnectAsync>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00222] in <4cdb8ebf41a24c1ea92d1a5f437d7ace>:0 

Please fix, this is a showstopper!!!!

Third...
    For me Xamarin Studio and alos Visual Studio for MAC Crash on Solution load (makes no difference if i open a simple console app solution or my complicated ios/android solution)

Log is attached.

Can't load string bundle for /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/Resources/lib/monodevelop/bin/ServiceHub/controller/clientResourceStrings.js
    ERROR [2017-02-27 11:01:52Z]: An unhandled exception has occured. Terminating Xamarin Studio? False
      at Microsoft.ServiceHub.Utility.SocketClient+<ConnectAsync>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00222] in <4cdb8ebf41a24c1ea92d1a5f437d7ace>:0 

Please fix, this is a showsto

Third...

Log is attached.

Please fix, this is a showstopper!!!!

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Can you post the full IDE log? Help - Open Log Directory. The 'Can't load string bundle' will not crash Xamarin Studio. Also that particular error can be fixed by removing the ~/.ServiceHub directory before running Xamarin Studio.

edited February 2017

Here is the full IDE Log:

the file is attached to the post.

in case that didn't work here again as pastebin:
    http://pastebin.com/y5A7iH7a

(sorry for multiple posting, that happened by accident)

Edit:
    i have Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio for Mac installed at the same time (might that be the problem? )

Here is the Mac Crash Report:
    http://pastebin.com/ftLTfZrf

Not seeing anything in the IDE log. Did it crash after when that IDE log was generated?

I have opened a bug report for this.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=52894

Would you be able to zip up your entire Xamarin Studio Log directory and attach it to that bug report? Thanks.

edited February 2017

Bugzilla won't let me login ("The login or password you entered is not valid.")... even though i use the same credentials here in this forum (i triple checked).

I attach the Log Archive here:

And since the same symptoms criple my Visual Studio for Mac i attach the logs for that as well.

Edit: here ist the Crash Report for VisualStudio for Mac http://pastebin.com/xQYuGt8s

The crash happens during the "Updating Resources..." step when loading the solution.

Thx for the help Matt!

Wow thx that was it.
    Tested it in XS and VSMac both work now.

(in Visual Studio for mac you have to go to the "Extensions" menu and disable Subversion there...

Unfortuanately i am stuck with Subversion for the forseable future since my company wants it that way...
    But i can live without the svn integration into XS for a while.

I hope it gets mentioned in the realease notes when it is fixed... so that i know to reenable the SVN integration.

Thx again, Matt!

There is a comment on a related bug report. Just wondering if you have time to try this out? Thanks.

Does using svn from the commandline trigger a license check? If so, does
    accepting it fix the crash?

Does opening Xcode trigger a license check? If so, does accepting it fix the
    crash?

Nope i can do "svn checkout http://companysvnserver:9876/foo/trunk" or "svn --version" from command line just fine. And i can't remember having to agree to something.

The only maybe not so common thing about my mac is that it is integrated into an ActiveDirectory Domain.

• Sree_Prakash_SSree_Prakash_S INUniversity

Thanks Johannes for giving the log (I was travelling and could not check the forum) and getting a solution out. Thanks matt for the help.

The disabling of subversion has fixed the issue for me as well in both Visual Studio & Xamarin Studio. I also can use svn from command line without any problem. I have not got a warning for svn in command line, nor for Xcode

I have marked the reply as answer but would appreciate if a fix for subversion is also found.