Stable Channel (for VS 2017): Cycle 9 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited March 14 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-9/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

UPDATE Mar 14: See the Cycle 9 Service Release 0 thread for the latest versions unless you are using VS 2017.

Be sure to check the release notes for any breaking changes and known issues, but of course additional bug reports are welcome as always.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "Cycle 9" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • You can also check the list of issues reported by users so far for the Cycle 9 Stable channel versions to see if any match. If you find a match, feel free to CC yourself on the bug report as a way to tally your interest in the bug:

Xamarin "Cycle 9" user-submitted bugs list

(If you have reported an issue that is specific to the latest Cycle 9 versions but is not yet included in the list, the bug might not have been filed using the "Cycle 9" new bug form. Those bugs will be added to the Cycle 9 list as they are reviewed by the team.)

• Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Compatibility notes

• [Xamarin.Forms Previewer] The Xamarin.Forms Previewer requires a 64-bit version of Oracle Java JDK 8 (1.8).

• [Xamarin.Android Designer] The Xamarin.Android Designer currently requires Android SDK Tools 25.1.3 or higher and is compatible with SDK Tools versions up to at least the current latest version 25.2.5.

• [Xamarin.VS] Xamarin.VS now requires Visual Studio 2013 or higher.

• [Xamarin.VS] Xamarin.VS now requires .NET Framework 4.6.2 or higher.

EDIT Mar 3: Add .NET Framework version requirement.
EDIT Mar 14: Add note about Cycle 9 Service Release 0.

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23

Any word on when this will hit the VS2017 Installer? Looks like it's still at v4.3.0.664.

• CrosevenCroseven Donald Jansen USMember ✭✭

My Xamarin updated this morning now my mac is incompatable
    The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 10.3) on the Mac.local (xxxx) is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS (version 10.4)
    I go on the mac and login into Xamarin, latest version is 10.3.1 I cannot find 10.4.
    What do I do now ?

• tematimtematim thomas bernard FRMember ✭✭
    edited February 23

@Croseven Change the update channel, switch to stable.

You need to have the same channel between mac and mac or windows and mac

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited February 23

Any word on when this will hit the VS2017 Installer? Looks like it's still at v4.3.0.664.

I believe the next VS 2017 release that is scheduled is the March 7 launch, and the latest version of Xamarin Cycle 9 will be included in that next release.

• christopheleturquechristopheleturque christophe leturque USMember

I did the installation and now I can no longer load my Xamarin projects or create new ones. How can I uninstall the release cycle 9

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited February 23

How can I uninstall the release cycle 9

As mentioned at the top:

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-9/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski said:

I believe the next VS 2017 release that is scheduled is the March 7 launch, and the latest version of Xamarin Cycle 9 will be included in that next release.

Thanks! I look forward to the launch!

Just a couple of quick question regarding Xamarin updates for Visual Studio 2017+. Since it's now apart of the installer application, I assume we will get updated via the installer now. Will we get those updates at the same day/time as when they're released for Xamarin Studio (Visual Studio for Mac)? And second question, how will we be able to install Alpha and Beta Versions? Will the Installer allow us to "switch channels" like we used to do in the past?

Thanks!

• DonSharpDonSharp Don Sharp USUniversity

Is there anyway to update the Xamarin release in VS 2017 RC since the Tools--> Options--> Xamarin doesn't have the update option? Will this be included in the next VS 2017 release?

Thanks!

• 15mgm1515mgm15 Mario Galvan USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski I am seeing a weird issue that happened me on various iOS projects, while debugging a Xamarin.iOS application (happened with 3 different applications) Everytime I run the application in debug mode just a plain blank screen appeared and none of my breakpoints where reaching (seems like debug the application was broken).

Then I opened the app without running it (clicked on it on the simulator) and there it was! the application running without any issues.

I can also see that if you restart the computer (I am using a mac) I did not have this issue anymore but it showed up recently today again.

A coworker an I had the same issue. Did anyone experience something similar??

I am using: 6.2 (build 1821)
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.3 (16D32)
    Xcode Version 8.2.1 (8C1002)

edited February 25

Tools--> Options--> Xamarin doesn't have the update option? Will this be included in the next VS 2017 release?

In Visual Studio 2017, you can update the Xamarin extensions via "Tools > Extensions and Updates". The Xamarin extensions themselves will be part of the Visual Studio "Product Update" in that menu. That update launches the Visual Studio Installer program to do updates.

Visual Studio 2017 will allow installing preview releases of Xamarin using a workflow similar to how you can currently install the VS Professional 2017 RC edition alongside the Enterprise 2017 RC edition using the Visual Studio Installer.

• ShawnCastrianni.5092ShawnCastrianni.5092 Shawn Castrianni US ✭✭✭

I see several issues with XS v6.2. I will list brief descriptions here because I don't have time to submit bugs for each and stuff.

1. Sometimes I double click a CS file to open up the code editor tab and the tab is completely blank. I have to switch tabs and switch back to get it to render
    2. If I open up a solution, update a nuget package, then try to launch the iOS app on the sim, the app immediately crashes on startup. If I rebuild all and then try to launch the iOS app on the sim, the app hangs on the splash screen. I have to uninstall the app, exit XS, delete bin/obj, start XS, rebuild all, then launch on the sim to get it to start working again.
    3. Similar issue as iOS above but for Android
  • DavidStetzDavidStetz David Stetz USMember
    edited February 27

Are there issues with logging into VSTS package management? Currently I'm unable to authenticate. This was working fine in 6.1.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro Alessandro Caliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

In XS 6.2 I have no Autocomplete... It's very hard to work now.
    I have not also right click / go to declaration or right click / find references are disabled or hidden...

• DougKeithDougKeith Doug Keith USUniversity

My Mac is not allowed to see the internet - which means I can't check for updates. Where can I download the Xamarin.iOS 10.4 image?

Thank you,
    Doug

In XS 6.2 I have no Autocomplete... It's very hard to work now.

If by chance you have the MFractor add-in installed, that has been reported to interfere with code completion and refactoring commands in Xamarin Studio 6.2.

edited February 28

My Mac is not allowed to see the internet - which means I can't check for updates. Where can I download the Xamarin.iOS 10.4 image?

Links for the recent individual installer packages (including Xamarin.iOS 10.4) can be found under the product drop-down menus on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. If you do not yet have a Xamarin account, you can create one on https://www.xamarin.com/account/register.

> @BrendanZagaeski said:
    > In XS 6.2 I have no Autocomplete... It's very hard to work now.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If by chance you have the MFractor add-in installed, that has been reported to interfere with code completion and refactoring commands in Xamarin Studio 6.2.

Yes I have...
  • BjornBBjornB Björn Bentmar USMember ✭✭✭

is it possible to downgrade to an earlier RC version of cycle 9?

• Matthew-RobbinsMatthew-Robbins Matthew Robbins AUInsider ✭✭

@AlessandroCaliaro @BrendanZagaeski Huge apologies for that behaviour, if you update MFractor to version 2.9.2 this has been fixed.

Reach out to me via Twitter (https://twitter.com/matthewrdev) or through Slack (https://xamarinchat.slack.com/archives/mfractor) if you have any questions.

excellent @Matthew-Robbins

I'll try this evening...

• DavidStetzDavidStetz David Stetz USMember

It looks like it is authenticating, but still constantly asking for credentials.

• Matthew-RobbinsMatthew-Robbins Matthew Robbins AUInsider ✭✭

@DavidStetz Can you clarify what you mean? Is the activation for MFractor failing or is it Xamarin Studio authentication?

• Sasha.3077Sasha.3077 Sasha Fahrenkopf USUniversity ✭✭

I'm having the same issues with credential management after update. VSTS nuget package feeds previously authenticated via PAT and now are unable to do so. Keeps prompting for credentials.

• Sasha.3077Sasha.3077 Sasha Fahrenkopf USUniversity ✭✭

Follow up on the PAT issue: XS will be able to authenticate VSTS nuget feeds if you use the exact name for the package source that VSTS provides when you 'connect to feed'. If you try to name your source something that doesn't match the feed name as provided, authentication will fail.

• mattwardmattward Matt Ward GBMember Xamurai
    edited March 5

Please see Bug 52987 for further discussion of the issue with authenticating VSTS nuget feeds. The latest update as of today is also pasted below.

I am unable to reproduce Xamarin Studio 6.2 failing to authenticate with VSTS when the package source has a different name to the VSTS feed. I have VSTS package sources that have different names compared with the VSTS NuGet feed and it works for me although I may be doing something different. As long as the package source matches an item in the ~/.config/NuGet/NuGet.Config file where the username and password is defined then the authentication should work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <packageSources>
       <add key="VSTS NuGet v3" value="https://username.pkgs.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/_packaging/VSTSTest/nuget/v3/index.json" />
      </packageSources>
      <activePackageSource>
        <add key="VSTS NuGet v3" value="https://username.pkgs.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/_packaging/VSTSTest/nuget/v3/index.json" />
      </activePackageSource>
      <packageSourceCredentials>
        <VSTS_x0020_NuGet_x0020_v3>
          <add key="Username" value="username" />
          <add key="Password" value="..." />
        </VSTS_x0020_NuGet_x0020_v3>
      </packageSourceCredentials>
    </configuration>

The NuGet.Config above uses spaces in one of the package source names which leads to the cryptic xml element inside the packageSourceCredentials section. The credential was originally created using the command line the VSTS page provides which was just doing a nuget sources add with some credentials. The package source name can be changed in that command line.

• Rafael.SantosRafael.Santos Rafael Santos PTUniversity ✭✭
    I upgraded but failed to build on Mac. Some fat library issue. Can someone help me?
  • CorradoCavalliCorradoCavalli Corrado Cavalli ITInsider, University ✭✭

After upgrade i can't no longer connect to Mac, logs indicate that failure relates to this exception.

Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Starting Broker 4.3.0.784 in port 51647...
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Remote.State.DisconnectedState|Error|0|Method not found: 'System.Reactive.Subjects.AsyncSubject1<!!0> System.Reactive.Linq.Observable.GetAwaiter(System.IObservable1<!!0>)'.
    System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Reactive.Subjects.AsyncSubject1<!!0> System.Reactive.Linq.Observable.GetAwaiter(System.IObservable1<!!0>)'.
    at System.Net.Mqtt.Client.Client.d__29.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
    at System.Net.Mqtt.Client.Client.ConnectAsync(ClientCredentials credentials, Will will, Boolean cleanSession)
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingConnection.d__21.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshMessagingConnection.d__39.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService.d__67.MoveNext()

everything was fine before upgrade...

I upgraded but failed to build on Mac. Some fat library issue. Can someone help me?

That sounds like a "suspicious behavior after download" (per the first post in the thread), so the best place to troubleshoot it would be in a dedicated discussion for that question. That will allow more in-depth conversation on that particular issue. See also the guide on the best places to ask various kinds of questions about Xamarin.

Some fat library issue.

To offer a starting place for that new dedicated discussion, if by chance "Some fat library issue" means that you are seeing an error message, I can make a wild guess that the error message might match Bug 35439, and that could indicate that Xcode is not fully set up.

After upgrade i can't no longer connect to Mac
    Method not found: 'System.Reactive.Subjects.AsyncSubject1<!!0> System.Reactive.Linq.Observable.GetAwaiter(System.IObservable1<!!0>)'.

Updates on that issue will currently be tracked in the corresponding non-public Bug 53055 filed by that user.

Please file a quick bug report using the "Cycle 9" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

Thanks in advance!

• QuakeulfQuakeulf Øyvind Sørøy NOMember ✭✭

Greetings. After dating up to this Cycle from the previous Cycle the Android 6.0 API 23 emulator will no longer start. It gives off this kind of error:

1>Starting deploy Android_Accelerated_x86 ...
    1>Starting emulator Android_Accelerated_x86 ...
    1>D:\delemappe\androydsdk\tools\emulator.EXE -partition-size 512 -no-boot-anim -avd Android_Accelerated_x86 -prop monodroid.avdname=Android_Accelerated_x86
    1>init: Could not find wglGetExtensionsStringARB!Hax is enabled
    1>
    1>Hax ram_size 0x40000000getGLES2ExtensionString: Could not find GLES 2.x config!
    1>
    1>HAX is working and emulator runs in fast virt mode.Failed to obtain GLES 2.x extensions string!
    1>
    1>Could not initialize emulated framebuffer
    1>emulator: Listening for console connections on port: 5554
    1>emulator: Serial number of this emulator (for ADB): emulator-5554
    1>emulator: ERROR: Could not initialize OpenglES emulation, use '-gpu off' to disable it.
    1>Emulator Android_Accelerated_x86 cannot be started.
    ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

This worked every time in the previous Cycle version but now it won't work anymore, however the Android-build succeeds to build.

What should I do? Please help. I need the emulaters to test the page navigation.

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler Michael Rumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭

Where does XamarinVS download install packages to?

I tried to update to 4.3.0.789, but the file seems to be corrupt. When I try to install I get "This installation package could not be opened.". It doesn't download again cause it sees the file is already there.

I'm using VS2015 prof.

edited March 16

Where does XamarinVS download install packages to?

%LOCALAPPDATA%\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload

In case it might also come in handy, you can also try downloading the package directly in your browser from either the iOS or Android drop-down menu on the store.xamarin.com downloads page. (See the Download links section on the downgrading guide for a few more details on accessing those links.)

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 17

Is anyone else bombing on iOS debug now? This used to be a problem awhile back and it seems to have made another grand entrance. So if I have any debug points set while debugging from VS2015 or 2017, I get this error:

The problem is I am using 2017 now and well I have no way to downgrade right?

System.OutOfMemoryException

Ah shoot. That old issue. By chance, I did just recently use a simple approach to mimicking a large project in size and structure (since it can be handy to have a "boring" large project to test certain things), so when I get a chance I'll try replicating that old OutOfMemory issue again using that approach.

The problem is I am using 2017 now and well I have no way to downgrade right?

In case it's helpful to know, you can in theory downgrade to any Xamarin version you like in Visual Studio 2015 without affecting the Visual Studio 2017 installation. In that case you can leave any checkboxes for Visual Studio 2017 preview versions un-checked when running the older Xamarin installer. As an example, I have used Xamarin 4.2.2.11 in Visual Studio 2015 successfully alongside Xamarin 4.3.0.784 in Visual Studio 2017.