Getting started is not easy - none of the guides or tutorials seem complete

a_gunslingera_gunslinger USMember ✭✭

Im pretty new to this. Have gone thru several getting started videos (Lynda.com, Xamarin Getting Started, etc) and all have resulted in not being able to get very far - usually because of errors and mismatch between the instructors system and mine and Visual Studio vs. Studio. I was under the impression (from other convoluted readings) that best option might be to use X Studio on a Mac since it can do cross platform. Setup my Mac as per all the instructions. But cant get off the ground. For example:

But the steps all immediately only show the use of Visual studio with no steps for using XS on Masc. I would prefer to use XS on a Mac getting started. But all tutorials seems VS.

• Is there a COMPLETE and CURRENT install package of all needed SDKs, etc? The second problem with most of the tutorials is a) my screens dont always match the presenters, b) with the first steps that ask you to Run/Debug the test app I can never get past a bunch errors that dont occur for the instructor video. Usually API [#] not loaded/available, xxxx.sqllite3.dll not found, or several others. I just cant even get 2 steps into the tutorials.

I realize this is a very complex process, and I am new, but I dont like to give up ;^) Can anyone suggest a better pathway? Or is this just bootcamp - "welcome to the frustration of mobile app development"?

Thanks for your patience

Tagged:

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@a_gunslinger said:

But the steps all immediately only show the use of Visual studio with no steps for using XS on Masc. I would prefer to use XS on a Mac getting started. But all tutorials seems VS.

If you look at the top of the page you linked, you'll see two items on the right: Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio. Click on Xamarin Studio and the guide will magically change to be Xamarin Studio specific.

• a_gunslingera_gunslinger USMember ✭✭

Well thats embarrassing.... although the Lynda.com one did the same to me. Thank you Dave.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. You're not the first to miss that, nor will you be the last. :wink:

Im really struggling. Carefully follow all the steps for install and steps to Get Started with Xamarin (in this case the Forms tutorial at https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/getting-started/) and I cant even get the tutorial to build without errors. ;^)

Is it possible that the getting started articles are a little outdated and some of the version and requirements details are obsolete?

Build the Phoneworld app twice, checking carefull, but always get a "xamlctask error can't find xxxxxxxxxdll.mdb" or other error.

Got it to run finally. Required newest version of Xcode. Mine was one version back. But ironically the guide was written a while back. Its all very confusing ;^)