Best approach to data sync

Hello guys,

I just want to know your opnion in: what is the best synchronization architecture that I should consider when I build my data sync logic with Xamarin.Android, considering:

The webservice that will be consumed will be on an ASP.net website, and I need to post some images along with data from my Xamarin.Android App and I need to get that too obviously...
The syncronization must be under an authentication logic...
So, what I want to know is, which one is better to use:

REST, HTTP with JSON?
WSDL, SOAP with XML?

I don't know if I'm correct about these two scenarios, but, I'll love to hear any other suggestions that you guys may have!
And another thing, how does the authentication works? shoul I store a token and pass this token on each request so the server could check if its ok?

Thank you very much!

Answers

• SHIVANKUCHAUHANSHIVANKUCHAUHAN USMember ✭✭✭

@rfcgraciano

SOAP is definitely the heavyweight choice for Web service access. It provides the following advantages when compared to REST:

1. Language, platform, and transport independent (REST requires use of HTTP)
    2. Works well in distributed enterprise environments (REST assumes direct point-to-point communication)
      Standardized
    3. Provides significant pre-build extensibility in the form of the WS* standards
    4. Built-in error handling
    5. Automation when used with certain language products

REST is easier to use for the most part and is more flexible. It has the following advantages when compared to SOAP:

1. No expensive tools require to interact with the Web service
    2. Smaller learning curve
      3 .Efficient (SOAP uses XML for all messages, REST can use smaller message formats)
    3. Fast (no extensive processing required)
    4. Closer to other Web technologies in design philosophy