Forum Xamarin Xamarin.iOS

Is it possible to create a fully-programmatic custom UITableViewCell without having to use .xib?

Programming natively with Swift, I can create a custom table view cell by inheriting UITableViewCell and overriding methods such as init() - But I'm in a world of pain trying to replicate this in Xamarin.

I don't want to have to rely on a xib to create the cell, I'd much rather be able to subclass it in the same way that I can subclass a UIView and override the draw() etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of examples? Or does almost everyone subscribe to the WYSIWYG way of doing things?

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks Alex.

I found an example of a programmatically created UICollectionViewCell and noticed that using [Export("initWithFrame:")] with the default constructor allowed me to basically treat the cell like a standard UIView. Might help others with a similar question:

public static readonly NSString CellId = new NSString("CustomCell");

[Export("initWithFrame:")]
        public CustomCell(RectangleF frame) : base(frame) 
        {
        }

public override void Draw(CGRect rect)
        {
            base.Draw(rect);
        }

// ... etc.

• FinHorsleyFinHorsley USMember ✭✭

Do i still need to use

if(cell == null) { //instantiate new cell }
    now that iOS 11/Swift 4 has been released? I was reading the Apple docs, and it seemed as if i didn't

at the moment I am just dequeuing a cell and returning it, although I am getting error then updating the cell.