Why Does Xamarin tools for Visual Studio 2015 Break my internet?

I installed Xamarin Tools and started working on a new app (Xamarin.Forms). Upon trying to run the Android version in Debug mode, it sets up the emulator and asks to do something to make it so the virtual machine can connect to the internet. That works fine, but then when I reboot my computer later, I have to do the "troubleshooting" on my internet connection every time. How can I prevent that? That's super annoying and makes me not want to use Xamarin for anything.

Also, now, after fixing my internet connection, then having to REDO the thing that broke it in the first place, it kind of seems like my app won't run in debug mode anymore. It says it can't find the Android SDK path which is crazy because that never changed.

Error Message:
The "XamlCTask" task failed unexpectedly.
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'D:\dev\MyApp\MyApp\MyApp.Droid\obj\Debug\MyApp.dll' because it is being used by another process.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like something specific to your machine. Or maybe your app. If it were Xamarin in general causing this you'd see 10,000 other developers all posting that Xamarin was killing the internet on their machine as well. There are way too many other people using emulators for this problem to be caused by Xamarin or Visual Studio.

I will also say this: Its not a bug until it happens on a physical device. Emulators suck; there's no other way to put it. Drop by WalMart or Sams Club and get a $50 tablet to work with. Your cell phone provider will probably give you one for free if you get a $10 line of service for it. Its money well spent for the aggravation it will save you.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@NullOverride Before conceding that Xamarin / VS Tools is breaking your internet, I would like you to check whether your internet is routed through the Hyper-V network adapters.

We did face similar situation years ago when Microsoft made the Windows Phone emulators Hyper-V dependent. Even though you connect to your regular router from the Windows PC, it should actually be routed through Hyper-V's network adapter.

May be you skipped a step to say Yes to connect through the adapter. Uninstall all the Windows Mobile & Android emulators for VS and reinstalling them may restore it. If you hover the cursor over the WiFi icon in the SysTray, you can check whether you are connected to your router directly or through the adapter.

• NullOverrideNullOverride USMember

@ShantimohanElchuri said:
    @NullOverride Before conceding that Xamarin / VS Tools is breaking your internet, I would like you to check whether your internet is routed through the Hyper-V network adapters.

We did face similar situation years ago when Microsoft made the Windows Phone emulators Hyper-V dependent. Even though you connect to your regular router from the Windows PC, it should actually be routed through Hyper-V's network adapter.

May be you skipped a step to say Yes to connect through the adapter. Uninstall all the Windows Mobile & Android emulators for VS and reinstalling them may restore it. If you hover the cursor over the WiFi icon in the SysTray, you can check whether you are connected to your router directly or through the adapter.

I don't know whether there was some specific question about "do you want to use HyperV ..." for anything at all when I installed Xamarin for visual studio. I don't really believe I installed the emulators separately from Xamarin for Visual Studio.

Also I have wired internet, not wifi. Historically my internet is called "Local connection 2" or something along those lines which is most definitely my ethernet adapter as it exists on my machine. I do know that after running the tool to set up the internet for the emulator during build it creates a new one with a different name. Not at home so I can't tell you specifics right now. I am on windows 10 and don't have access to a MAC of any kind if that's important (I noticed I can't use Designer because of that fact).

If I followed these instructions, there is no special information about rewiring my network connections in a particular way.

• On the upside I got the app running again (it seems like the Xamarin tools are finicky), but once again my internet connection (on my PC - I don't currently care about the emulator's ability to talk to the internet) will be non-functional when I reboot my PC. I am shocked that I seem to be the only person having this problem. But it wouldn't be the first time, especially since something from Microsoft is involved.