Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

XAM150 Rest Web services

Hi,
VS2015 (update 3, Xamarin 4.2)

In this course the self guided instructions say, in Visual Studio, to select the Xamarin.Forms application. The only selection in VS2015 named Xamarin.forms is the (Class Library Xamarin.forms) but this cannot be the correct selection since it only creates a class. The other options are:
Blank App (Xamarin.Forms portable)
Blank App (Xamarin.Forms shared)
Blank XAML App (Xamarin.Forms portable)

Can anyone advise on this? I selected Blank App (Xamarin.Forms portable) but when it builds it throws numerous windows.runtime, and other errors. I'm trying to confirm if I've selected an incorrect starting point.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• PhocionPhocion USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

It looks like the install for the latest Xamarin update did not complete. Restarted the machine, and re-ran the install. Selected the Blank XAML App (Xamarin.Forms portable) and built the solution at each step. I'm only at halfway thru exercise 1. So far so good.

Thanks for the replies. ClintSt's reply "Blank XAML App (Xamarin.Forms portable)" is the answer. I'll take a look at the tutorial blog as well.

Thanks

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

what do you have to do?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I'd point out that jumping around isn't a good plan.

You shouldn't be up to doing a REST service tutorial if you've not even made the default "Welcome to Xamarin" app, which is clear you haven't done if you don't yet know what to select to make a Xamarin app.

If it helps, I walk the reader through this process of getting going for the first time, doing updates, first app, basic bindings and so on on my new tutorial blog. Its a lot easier to point you at that than to repeat all that content in a post here.

• PhocionPhocion USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

It looks like the install for the latest Xamarin update did not complete. Restarted the machine, and re-ran the install. Selected the Blank XAML App (Xamarin.Forms portable) and built the solution at each step. I'm only at halfway thru exercise 1. So far so good.

Thanks for the replies. ClintSt's reply "Blank XAML App (Xamarin.Forms portable)" is the answer. I'll take a look at the tutorial blog as well.

Thanks