Forcing Xamarin.Forms on us?

OlafBOlafB USMember ✭✭
edited January 2017 in General

We all know that Microsoft's mobile platform is foundering and that the company now owns Xamarin. Xamarin has both native and cross-platform options for app development. Lately, I see a lot of ads on Facebook for Xamarin.Forms (the cross platform option).

I'm worried that Microsoft will overplay its hand and force developers to exclusively use Xamarin.Forms for application development, in an effort to get more Windows 10 Mobile / Windows Phone apps.

Does anyone share my view?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

Not really.

They give you native android and iOS options, I don't see that changing.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Hey Olaf,

I think "forcing" you to use Xamarin.Forms would violate our "delight developers". :) In short, please don't worry.

Forms certainly has it's place and we're working to make it an amazing option. As Norman points out, when you survey the mobile development ecosystem of offerings now from Microsoft we offer Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, UWP, and Xamarin.Forms. There's also gaming platforms if you want to expand that (and Apache Cordova is supported, to make this case even stronger).

Each has a place and purpose, despite overlap.

I think it's also useful to realize, there is no Xamarin.Forms without Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and UWP. Xamarin.Forms sits on top of those backends.

We listen closely to the developer community so we can continue to delight, so your feedback and view is very welcome and does much to guide us. I wouldn't let Facebook ads unduly inform your perception of Microsoft mobile strategy. There's other advertiser voodoo at work there.

I hope that helps clarify things.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Olafb No, I don't share that view at all. In my view it isn't even possible, you still need to drop down to native Xamarin for platform specific code etc.

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭

@OlafB said:
    We all know that Microsoft's mobile platform is foundering and that the company now owns Xamarin. Xamarin has both native and cross-platform options for app development. Lately, I see a lot of ads on Facebook for Xamarin.Forms (the cross platform option).

I'm worried that Microsoft will overplay its hand and force developers to exclusively use Xamarin.Forms for application development, in an effort to get more Windows 10 Mobile / Windows Phone apps.

Does anyone share my view?

I think "forcing" is stretching it a bit, but I think that XF is the main way to develop with Xamarin and it's kinda logic. Xamarin is attractive because it uses C# and is a way to get to mobile development fast! And since Xamariners have to learn a lot, why not learn something that works everywhere ?

That being said, I really hope that Microsoft keep working a lot on the experience with X.iOS and X.Droid for us dev! I love C#, but XF isn't for big projects!

• OlafBOlafB USMember ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the replies. Although I don't doubt that Xamarin itself would never do anything to displease developers, some PHB at Microsoft may find it a good idea.

I just hope I'm wrong since native development is important to squeeze every bit op performance and user experience out of the platform.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@OlafB said:
    Thanks for the replies. Although I don't doubt that Xamarin itself would never do anything to displease developers, some PHB at Microsoft may find it a good idea.

I just hope I'm wrong since native development is important to squeeze every bit op performance and user experience out of the platform.

Think of it this way. Xamarin Forms is an abstraction over Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android. When you create a <Button> in Xamarin.Forms, it is actually a UIButton on iOS and a Wiget.Button on Android. Without Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android, there is no Xamarin Forms.

And then there's this, so I wouldn't worry about it. It'll take more than a PHB to change this much in direction.

• OlafBOlafB USMember ✭✭

Given the dismal marketshare of Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile, I assume that Microsoft has more or less given up on mobile and would be less inclined to make such a drastic move which would alienate many developers. So I'm hopeful.