What happened to Xamarin Forms templates after update to XVS 4.2.2.11???

ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I just updated my Xamarin for VS to ver 4.2.2.11. Now I don't find the Visual C# -> Cross Platform -> Xamarin Forms templates. I am seeing only the Native app templates.

Besides, I don't know why, this update has removed two items from my Desktop without any prompt. Only issue I had was of my mistake, I went off after starting the install without answering the Admin Permission box. When I returned I found the message that the install was interrupted. So I just re-initiated install. I hope that is not a crime to remove the templates and the desktop items.

How do I get back the XF templates?

Best Answer

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

No takers? Surprised only I have this issue...

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@ShantimohanElchuri

I'm curious if you're running into this issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41767780/visual-studio-2015-community-xamarin-cross-platform-templates-missing/41768683#41768683

Please try to update to the latest Beta channel at the current time of writing and see if the templates come back. If not, follow my SO Answer and repair your templates by manually moving them over.

As 'krlzlx' mentioned, I too find the Extension cache for 4.2.2.11 is empty.

Actually I saw this trick in another thread on Stack Overflow. So I check the extension cache. As I didn't find any in 4.2.2.11 directory and found the latest zip files in ...\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\4.1.2.18\T\~PC\PT\Cross Platform\ directory Xamain.Forms.PCL.zip. I moved it to ...\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\4.2.2.11\T\PT\CSharp\Cross Platform\ directory. This is actually an unzipped directory. I also have to have zipped directory before I could see the XF templates. But they are of XF ver. 2.0.0.6482.

For now I create in this version and update NuGet packages to 2.3.3.180 version. Anyway that shouldn't be the case.

Just I didn't address you @JonDouglas to get the intimation to you in my post.

@JonDouglas or anyone else, any solutions or suggestions???

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

It might be possible that this is due to the new VSIX 3 standard set by Visual Studio 2017.

You might be able to find a hashed named extension inside of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions folder. I would recommend that you filter by the Date modified item or simply search for Xamarin.Forms in the search box to find where the most recent installed extension that includes the Xamarin.Forms templates would be.

You will notice that this now installs a new extension:

@JonDouglas I searched my computer but didn't find any.

Attached the screenshots of Xamarin Extensions installed in my system and what I found online that are authored by Xamarin.

• bidybidy CHMember

Same here. Didn't find any templates.

• bidybidy CHMember

Solved it - I first posted in on stackoverflow: stackoverflow.com/a/42341624/2274377

This was working for me:

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\
    2. Find the correct subfolder. This can be tricky. I had a Xamarin folder, but that was not the right one. In my case it was folder wa13kl1p.m3s. However, open your folders and check it there is some Xamarin.Forms.Templates... files in it.
    3. Inside that folder navigate to the T/P/CSharp folder.
    4. Copy the Cross-Platform folder over to C:\Users\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#

Same thing for the ItemTemplates:

1. But this time navigate to T/I/CSharp folder.
    2. Copy the Cross-Platform folder over to C:\Users\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#

@bidy your solution didn't work for me. I am getting the errors shown in the attached screenshot. I searched the VS docs for "Customizing Project Templates". The results were not helpful.

Yesterday I updated Xamarin for VS to ver. 4.3.0.784, the latest Cycle 9 version. After that I got a "Cross Platform App..." entry in new project window as shown in the attachment. This starts a app creation wizard like in Xamarin Studio on Mac. After seeing this I suspect if this was the same in earlier release. Someone who is yet to confirm this. However this creates a XAML based UI by default. There is no option for code based UI.

• JTEJTE USMember ✭✭

is there somkind of walk through or tutorial about new templates? I mean there is azure backend created, authentication etc.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@JTE: We currently do not have any documentation on the "Master Detail" templates, but I love the idea of having some. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to pass it along to the team :smile:

• JTEJTE USMember ✭✭

@PierceBoggan said:
    @JTE: We currently do not have any documentation on the "Master Detail" templates, but I love the idea of having some. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to pass it along to the team :smile:

this is something close to it but it should be ~1 hour long to really explain what's happening.

• JTEJTE USMember ✭✭

ok, now we have it what I was looking for azure backend online/offline data :smile: