"Fatal error Xamarin Studio Failed to Start" using 6.1.2.44 and GTK# 2.12.42

Installed GTK# 2.12.42 and Xamarin Studio 6.1.2.44

But Xamarin studio failed to start.

Log file shows fatal error as follows:

FATAL ERROR [2017-01-16 15:49:37Z]: Xamarin Studio failed to start
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'MonoDevelop.Ide.ImageService' threw an exception. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: '!!0[] System.Array.Empty()'.
at Gtk.IconFactory..ctor()
at MonoDevelop.Ide.ImageService..cctor() in C:\data\lanes\3510\0ccfcd52\source\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\ImageService.cs:line 49
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at MonoDevelop.Ide.ImageService.Initialize()
at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(MonoDevelopOptions options) in C:\data\lanes\3510\0ccfcd52\source\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\IdeStartup.cs:line 209
FATAL ERROR [2017-01-16 15:49:37Z]: Xamarin Studio failed to start. Some of the assemblies required to run Xamarin Studio (for example gtk-sharp)may not be properly installed in the GAC.
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: '!!0[] System.Array.Empty()'.

Attempting to repair/reinstall GTK# and Xamarin studio didn't help, same log message seen.

Are these two versions compatible?

Any ideas on getting it to work?

Thanks

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Try an older GTK#. Xamarin Studio 6.1 on Windows is showing 2.12.38 as the version it depends on.

• MariusUngureanuMariusUngureanu ROXamarin Team Xamurai

The newest Gtk# is compiled against .NET 4.6. You need that on your machine.

• XamUser22XamUser22 USMember

Thank you, GTK# 2.12.38 fixes the problem.

Problem arose because for Xamarin Studio monodevelop indicates GTK# prerequisite pointing to mono-project, which points to latest GTK# 2.12.42.

(See http://www.monodevelop.com/download/
    and
    http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-win)

When 'official links' are provided, usually no questions need be asked, except when things don't quite work.
    Thanks for the help.

• sulokusuloku ESMember

I've stomped the same problem, Xamarin 6.1.2.44 but installing GTK# 2.12.38 didn't fix my probelm, I still get the same log error message. Any suggestion?