PCLStorage alternative?

It seems that PCLStorage is the only library that exists for cross-platform file access with Xamarin. Do you mean to tell me that NOBODY ELSE has written a similar library? I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, so any guidance would be appreciated.

I have been having issues with PCLStorage (it doesn't seem to properly close file handles), so I need to find an alternative and don't want to write my own if there are options.

Tagged:

Answers

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't say nobody else has written a similar library, but whenever someone asks about storage in a PCL, PCLStorage is what everyone recommends.

Given that you have full access to the source code, I would recommend you start with that and see if you can fix whatever problems you're having.

Having said all that, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. With .NET Standard, there may eventually be no need for this solution.

• JamieHoustonJamieHouston USMember ✭✭

I started porting to .net standard and may finish it up, so feel free to fork. Currently looking at alternatives and the only one I see if netstandard-storage which is re-written and doesn't include the async stuff. I'll evaluate either finishing mine, updating the one I found, or finding a new option.

• raV720raV720 PLMember ✭✭

So what was your final choice of storage library? What would you suggest?

• DanNordquistDanNordquist USMember ✭✭

Any alternatives found since Microsoft is depreciating PCL? I'm moving to .net standard and love the easy use of PCL Storage addon for PCL.

• ArthurFredaArthurFreda USMember

I chose nothing. I decided to create my own Secure Storage library based on the one in XLabs, and use the keychain to store my app data. It's the only thing that seemed to work reliably.

• DanNordquistDanNordquist USMember ✭✭

@JamieHouston did you ever finish your port?