Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Problem running any App installed by Visual Studio

MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

I have had a bit of a battle to get Visual Studio to run simple Apps on different emulators, but have pretty much got that sorted now.

However I notice that once I have disconnected Visual Studio, if I try to run the app from the device directly, it shows the first Activity windows and then terminates suddenly. Again it is fine running when triggered from Visual Studio, there is only a problem when I using the icon from the device desktop.

This even happens on hardware (Sony F3111, Android 6.0) and on most of the emulators I have tried.

This even happens using the "Blank App" template project from Visual Studio.

Project build settings I am using are :

Compile using Android Version : Use Latest Platform (Android 7.0 (Nougat))
Minimum Android To Target : Android 4.1 (API Level 16 - Jelly Bean)
Target Android Version : Use Compile using SDK Version

I would be really grateful for any insight into what might be happening, or what I can do to find out more.

Answers

• MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

Still getting nowhere with this except I have noticed the following.

Just to recap, this is even with a blank Visual Studio Android App, compiled up without any changes...

1. Deploy to target, App runs up.
    2. Stop App on device by closing process from Android task list.
    3. Run up App from desktop, App will try to start and crash without any message..... unless I leave it about 20s after closing the process (see above). Then it runs up OK.

Any clues anyone ?