Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@MichaelRumpler said:
    @DavidOrtinau When I use https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms to open a ticket, then I get a form where I can enter all the information. After submitting that form I'm redirected to bugzilla where I get the error:

You must select/enter a milestone.

That's a drag! The 2 you added you, were those through the other form or did you have to go to Bugzilla directly?

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@StephaneDelcroix I appreciate that very much Stephane! I see why now that it appeared to not be a large issue. When DataTemplates are thought in terms of ListViews and ListViews only, then yea that's not a large deal. We don't actually use ListViews at all because of the early issues with them and the lacking ability for extension. We have built numerous controls including ones like a DataGrid that have cell's to be populated by templates, then they have drop down details (potentially) which are populated by DataTemplates because well one is dynamic and the other makes no sense to load say 20 views that if the user doesn't drop them down then its just taking up resources.

We also do a lot of data manipulation and entry which means our views can grow massively if we preloaded everything up front. We also have controls to do work like a view selector which can swap out views that use the same data OR not depending. This is needed for items where something can be quoted and then once they decide to use the quote they can turn it into a real item that then shows some new areas and hides old ones.

Some are what we call ManagePanels that take a set of data from a DataGrid or other list type views and have slide out panels that contain the details of the item(larger views), while this details view is reused for that specific data set, they are rather large. This happens even more so with alot of data sets if they were preloaded it could cause a massive slow down. For our views on post loading, load very quickly on android now WHEN we are not loading the entire ui tree multiple times when they open a view. Now some might argue we shouldn't have such a large application on Xamarin but I think the more Xamarin matures that these types of applications will be expected.

Also to note even with the multiple loading, iOS was just fine on speed.. now it was about 10x slower loading initially it was still relatively acceptable for the amount there. Android on the other hand was massively slow. It would take minutes with some views to load. After we took out the datatemplate loading at init, we went down to a few seconds. Thats a BIG jump! I know our case may be strange, but the larger applications get using Xamarin I think you will find DataTemplates being used more often than not.

Thanks!
    EDIT: Forgot to add we use templates in our tab controls for post loading on android.

EDIT: To add why it is blocking is we cant have developers sitting around for minutes to test one small part of a view. We also cant deploy with it and have our users sitting around for minutes loading a view. So for us we have to stay put until its fixed. To be clearer on that.

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    That's a drag! The 2 you added you, were those through the other form or did you have to go to Bugzilla directly?

I just used bugzilla.

• DannyWernickeDannyWernicke USMember ✭✭

@StephaneDelcroix said:
    @BradChase.2654 I acknowledge the existence of the issue you reported regarding creating useless objects declared in DataTemplates, with both Xaml and XamlC. I'm working on it at this very moment.

Great to hear this. I just want to second @BradChase.2654 . We also use DataTemplates a lot (all our popups are created by using DataTemplates for instance) and having instantiated them all at startup (and that even nested if a control in a DataTemplate uses DataTemplates itself) is a problem especially with some controls who admittedly do too much in the constructor. For instance the converters in those controls are getting instantiated as well which leads to value conversions with a BindingContext wich is usally null at the time but still...

So we will be very happy if this is solved. :)

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
  • DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Good eye! This is not in 2.3.4.184-pre1. As you can see from the nuspec, when you target framework 7.0 and above you can use API 23 and up, otherwise projects are still capped at 23.

We are still testing this and working through any issues. When it's released, we'll provide clear guidance, and make a big hoopla.

I'll see if I can get the Roadmap updated today with an ETA.

• In UWP the Picker is broken if used with ItemsSource: No items get displayed.
    In 2.3.3.180 it works as expected.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51642

• In UWP the top bar of a NavigationPage cannot be hidden (NavigationPage.SetHasNavigationBar(page, false))
    Experienced from 2.3.3+. With 2.3.2.127 it was all fine.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51646

@David.Rettenbacher said:
    In UWP the Picker is broken if used with ItemsSource: No items get displayed.
    In 2.3.3.180 it works as expected.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51642

Thanks David. I replied on the ticket.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndreasKlapperich said:
    @mostafamarji
    I had the same error.
    I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

why would you remove it? I thought that it is important make things running faster. Isnt it a bug if it doesnt work with it, instead of workaround by removing it

• AngelCalvasAngelCalvas ECUniversity ✭✭

In UWP MasterDetailpage Icon is missing

• @batmaci

If you use alpha, beta or pre versions, some things may not work as you and the developer expected.
    So you need a temporary workaround for this and that is the time where you send a bug report to the developer.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Anybody tested Android Start up time Performance. Does it loaded faster now?
  • RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau I'm experiencing an issue with the Button control. You can see the problem in the attached screenshot. Is this a known bug?
    I'm not doing anything special here. Adding an Image and Binding the TextProperty to my model.

@RaphaelSchindler said:
    @DavidOrtinau I'm experiencing an issue with the Button control. You can see the problem in the attached screenshot. Is this a known bug?
    I'm not doing anything special here. Adding an Image and Binding the TextProperty to my model.

I'm not able to reproduce what you're showing in that image (vertical alignment of image and text offset from background and seeming to overflow). If that works as expected in 2.3.3.180 but is different in 2.3.4.184-pre1, then open a bug report. Otherwise, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the Xamarin.Forms forum and provide more complete code reference for help.

@batmaci said:

You're volunteering then right? :) Please let us know what you find.

This is still a work in progress. We're continuing to identify additional gains and make those changes.

@DavidOrtinau

I'm not able to reproduce what you're showing in that image (vertical alignment of image and text offset from background and seeming to overflow). If that works as expected in 2.3.3.180 but is different in 2.3.4.184-pre1, then open a bug report. Otherwise, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the Xamarin.Forms forum and provide more complete code reference for help.

It's happening in 2.3.3 and 2.3.4. I'm gonna create a test project and take a deeper look. If I create a new thread should I ping you from there so you can keep track?

@AngelCalvas said:

I have a MasterDetailPage project and my icon is present in UWP.

Is the same project working as expected in 2.3.3.180 for you? What about iOS and/or Android? If so, go ahead an open an issue for us please.

@RaphaelSchindler yes please. Thanks!

Added a new bug https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51703
    MessagingCenter.Unsubscribe unsubbs all instances that ever subscribed to the message. It came in this release. It is very detailed and easy to understand and ofc a project attached. @DavidOrtinau have a look, and as allways fix it asap :)

@DavidOrtinau said:

@RaphaelSchindler said:

Does this happen on a device also? i see this in the VS emulator sometimes. But never on a device

• AngelCalvasAngelCalvas ECUniversity ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@AngelCalvas said:

I have a MasterDetailPage project and my icon is present in UWP.

Is the same project working as expected in 2.3.3.180 for you? What about iOS and/or Android? If so, go ahead an open an issue for us please

Android is working fine, cant test iOS, It was showing before all I did was update Xamarin.Forms

edited January 2017

@BjornB It happened on both, device and emulator.
    @DavidOrtinau I found the issue. If the BindingContext of the Button.TextProperty is null and the BindingContext gets initialized then the button gets redrawn and the Layout is as shown in my screenshot.

The more complex answer ;)

In my app I have an object called Contact which has a Property called ContractList from type ObservableCollection<Contract>(); The ContractList doesn't get initialized on the start of the app since I wanted to load the data, when the user clicks on the Contact. This is done in a ListView where I set the BindingContext of the DetailView to the selected Contact.

Looks like this:

listView.ItemTapped += async (sender, args) => { var contact = args.Item as Contact; await Navigation.PushAsync(new ContactDetailView {BindingContext = contact}); }

In the DetailView im hooking into the OnBindingContextChanged() and load the Contracts.
    Here's where the error happens. I want to show a Button that has an Image and the amount of Contracts that the Contact has.

So my Binding looks like this:

contractsButton.SetBinding(Button.TextProperty, new Binding("Contracts.Count"));

So the Solution is pretty simple. I just have to initialize the Contracts in the constructor of the object

public Contact() { Contracts = new ObservableCollection<Contract>(); }

EDIT: After thinking about how it's going on internally in Forms, this makes complete sense. If the Button text get's initialized with null there is no space wasted for it. There's just a small bug in the redrawing I think and I don't think that should be a high priority.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau Is a pre2 release planned for 2.3.4 soon? I'm seeing a lot of the NullReferenceExceptions in VisualElement Finalize(), and looking at the PR that mentions those wonder whether those are really fixed. This is also a show stopper on releasing anything right now.

• BrianRepettiBrianRepetti USUniversity ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@batmaci said:

You're volunteering then right? :) Please let us know what you find.

This is still a work in progress. We're continuing to identify additional gains and make those changes.

I am noticing some big improvements. I ran into a XamlC issue so can't fully tell yet.

The XamlC bug was reported fixed so awaiting Pre2 before doing any further tests.

Hopefully Pre 2 comes soon ;)

• MarkFredricksonMarkFredrickson USMember ✭✭

I'm getting the following exceptions on every form in my Universal Windows App with this beta. No issues with Android or iOS, just UWP. This all started with release 2.3.3.x. I have no problems with 2.3.2.127.

Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0757CDC4.
    Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.

The address of the first exception changes for what looks like each control on my form. My controls are defined in the form but their properties are set in the app. The exceptions are thrown after I set the control properties and while the form is being rendered by Xamarin.

I tried the 5.3.0-beta2 of Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform but that didn't help either.

I would like to get this resolved so please let me know what I can do to help determine the cause.

@MarkFredrickson said:
    I'm getting the following exceptions on every form in my Universal Windows App with this beta. No issues with Android or iOS, just UWP. This all started with release 2.3.3.x. I have no problems with 2.3.2.127.

Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0757CDC4.
    Exception thrown at 0x75D5A832 in Trucks.Windows.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.

The address of the first exception changes for what looks like each control on my form. My controls are defined in the form but their properties are set in the app. The exceptions are thrown after I set the control properties and while the form is being rendered by Xamarin.

I tried the 5.3.0-beta2 of Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform but that didn't help either.

I would like to get this resolved so please let me know what I can do to help determine the cause.

Thanks Mark, please file a report and share it here so I can track it. Be sure to use the Help > Xamarin > Zip logs to include that right ever you get the errors. That'll help greatly. Also include a sample project if possible, or at least some good code samples.

• MarkFredricksonMarkFredrickson USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau - Thanks David. I filed bug 51796 and included a test app to replicate the bug.

I should showcase Xamarin at Microsoft conference next Monday, and the pre1 so unstable with the NRE crashes in VisualElement.Finalize() that this is about to turn into some sort of anti-PR for the tech. If I just build the XF library myself from the latest XF sources and link to those, is that feasible, or won't that work due to incompatibilities with the installed Xamarin version on my system?

@PhilippSumi said:
    I should showcase Xamarin at Microsoft conference next Monday, and the pre1 so unstable with the NRE crashes in VisualElement.Finalize() that this is about to turn into some sort of anti-PR for the tech. If I just build the XF library myself from the latest XF sources and link to those, is that feasible, or won't that work due to incompatibilities with the installed Xamarin version on my system?

Are yo ushowcasing any specific pre 1 functionality?
    Im interested in the NRE crash, i have never seen this in any of my apps.

are you on the latest beta of Xamarin for visual studio?

edited January 2017

I think (desperately hope) it's this one here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/701
    Since it's a finalizer issue, it happens rather randomly after popping views from the stack.

The pre1 fixed another bug that caused the app to be unusable, so I didn't really have a choice but to move on to that one.

As for versions: I just switched back from VS2017 to the latest stable on VS2015, and it was a frigging nightmare. Using the latest beta on VS2015 gave me compilation errors about Mono.Cecil. I think the downloader build target used by Xamarin's Google.iOS packages are not working reliably (yet). I first had to unpack the downloaded Google TARs manually, and then ran into the Cecil crash. And on VS2017, the build crashes with a NullRefrenceException:
    https://github.com/xamarin/GoogleApisForiOSComponents/issues/55

So right now, I can at least build. My idea was to just build XF manually, then replace the binaries in the local packages folder and rebuild. Not sure this means opening a can of worms though ;)

@PhilippSumi
    Sure you can just download it and build => replace dlls. And then go back to the public release when pre 2 is public.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭
    @PhilippSumi you are just fine to do that. We did the exact same thing and you will have two directories under your nuget folder structure, one for runtime and one for building. Just replace those DLLs and don't update nuget's packages. That should get ya moving for the conference.
  • TheosTheos NLBeta ✭✭

I updated to 184-pre1 and where I before (with 2.3.3) had a crash on Android when pressing the back-button to close the app, I now have a crash when resuming the app.
    Crash:
    [MonoDroid] UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: [MonoDroid] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.Platform.LayoutRootPage (Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity activity, Xamarin.Forms.Page page, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height) [0x0007a] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\AppCompat\Platform.cs:279 [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.Platform.Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.IPlatformLayout.OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x00003] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\AppCompat\Platform.cs:196 [MonoDroid] at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.PlatformRenderer.OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x0000e] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\PlatformRenderer.cs:73 [MonoDroid] at Android.Views.ViewGroup.n_OnLayout_ZIIII (System.IntPtr jnienv, System.IntPtr native__this, System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x00009] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3511/501e63ce/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-24/src/generated/Android.Views.ViewGroup.cs:3427 [MonoDroid] at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:e4c873e1-63ae-4d3d-9732-2aca37ced13e (intptr,intptr,bool,int,int,int,int)

More having this? And is there something I can check to help fixing this?

@BradChase.2654 said:
    @PhilippSumi you are just fine to do that. We did the exact same thing and you will have two directories under your nuget folder structure, one for runtime and one for building. Just replace those DLLs and don't update nuget's packages. That should get ya moving for the conference.

Copying around individual DLLs was horrible, so I ended up hacking their nuget file to get a copy of the package I could use to just drag and drop the folders with binaries for each platform. That made the process somewhat doable :)

@Xamarin: It would be nice to facilitate this. Right now, I wouldn't know how to create a clean copy of the nuget packages in order to allow for a quick drop-in replacement of the sources. Speaking for myself: If that was easy to accomplish, I would be very inclined to go hack the platform and play with the latest offerings - which in turn might result in good feedback and PRs for you.

• DH_HA1DH_HA1 USMember ✭✭✭

I agree with @PhilippSumi. Being able to build a nupkg on a Mac would be nice esp for those who don't use UWP.

• JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai

@Theos Are you talking about this previous crash? I took a sample project that reproduces that crash on Forms 2.3.3.180 and updated it to 2.3.4-pre1, but I'm not seeing the new crash at resume that you mentioned. Can you please file a new report and attach a sample project? Thanks!