Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1

DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau David OrtinauUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai
edited January 18 in Xamarin.Forms

We've pushed Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1 to nuget. To install the pre-release, check the pre-release option in your nuget manager and install this version.

If you’ve got a bug to report, drop us a quick report here so we can troubleshoot in detail.

Important notes

• Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4 depends on a Xamarin installation of Cycle 8. Users upgrading from Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3 (or earlier) will experience numerous compile errors if they attempt to build without first upgrading their Xamarin installation.
  • When upgrading Xamarin.Forms, take care not to simply "update all" as that will update the Xamarin.Android.Support packages to an incompatible version. More info here.

2.3.4.184-pre1

For all the details, please read the release post here. There is SO much goodness in this release, it's actually too long for the forum.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm Dirk Wilhelm USMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 13

Why is this not a sticky thread?

edit: thanks for making it a sticky

• DominikWeber.1641DominikWeber.1641 Dominik Weber USMember

Awesome release, should fix a lot of problems :) thanks!
    Unfortunately I can't update until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51238 (I'm still using XForms 2.3.2 because of this). Any chance you could look into this bug?

• ReinhardSchuererReinhardSchuerer Reinhard Schuerer USMember

Strange we used the Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.171-pre1 before and now using the 184-pre1 as it fixed a bug we encountered with the 2.3.3.175 running the latest Cycle 8 version without any problems.

• VincentwxVincentwx Vincent Wang CAMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau Can you confirm in this release if the xamrin.Form previewer problem is fixed or not? (As we discussed in your road map thread, in Visual Studio, a Mac is still needed for the previewer to work with Android)

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau David Ortinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@DominikWeber.1641 said:
    Awesome release, should fix a lot of problems :) thanks!
    Unfortunately I can't update until this bug is fixed: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51238 (I'm still using XForms 2.3.2 because of this). Any chance you could look into this bug?

Yes, will investigate.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau David Ortinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@Vincentwx said:
    @DavidOrtinau Can you confirm in this release if the xamrin.Form previewer problem is fixed or not? (As we discussed in your road map thread, in Visual Studio, a Mac is still needed for the previewer to work with Android)

This pre-release of the Xamarin.Forms nuget package is unrelated to the Forms Previewer feature. The Forms Previewer is part of the Visual Studio tooling.

I have been and will continue to monitor that team's progress on the Forms Previewer very closely. I saw conflicting reports of success and failure during the last QA cycle this week. They are aware of the issue and working on it.

Once the Previewer feature goes from preview to stable feature release, it's going to be really amazing. Until then, the team needs time to work through these issues.

@ReinhardSchuerer said:
    Strange we used the Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.171-pre1 before and now using the 184-pre1 as it fixed a bug we encountered with the 2.3.3.175 running the latest Cycle 8 version without any problems.

I'm not sure I follow. You're good now or is there something we need to investigate and file a bug on?

• ReinhardSchuererReinhardSchuerer Reinhard Schuerer USMember

No so far the prerelease is working better than the current stable version.
    I just found this thread from the 184 announcement and was just wondering about the "Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4 depends on a Xamarin installation of Cycle 9" as we so far hasn't encountered any problems with Cycle 8 with it.

• BrightLeeBrightLee Bright Lee KRMember ✭✭✭
    edited January 14

Oh..... no...
    Height of ContextAction in ListView problem came back again. (iOS - XF2.3.4.184-pre1)
    Why this is happening..

The problem was gone on XF2.3.3-SR1, and came back.

It ruins every UI for my ListView and fit to non-changable ContextAction height.

The height of my viewcell fit to ContextAction's button height, which means ContextAction's height does not follow ViewCell's height.

As result, every UI of cell is ruined.

It's reproduced on iPhone 5(actual device), iOS 10.2.

like this, unless I refresh my listview.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi Philipp Sumi USMember ✭✭✭

I'm seeing there's still a hard dependency on the outdated 29.0.0.1 Google Play Services libraries for Forms.Maps, which makes it impossible to use Firebase instead of GCM. I cannot register a GCM key with Azure anymore because Google deprecated this back in September 2016. I think it was announced recently that those dependencies should completely go away, but if you keep them, those really should be bumped, at least to 29.0.0.2 (I think this has Firebase support).

@BBright said:
    Oh..... no...
    Height of ContextAction in ListView problem came back again. (iOS - XF2.3.4.184-pre1)
    Why this is happening..

The problem was gone on XF2.3.3-SR1, and came back.

It ruins every UI for my ListView and fit to non-changable ContextAction height.

I'm searching Bugzilla and not finding a report matching your description. If you are aware of one, can you send me the number? Or please open one and share it with me. Thx.

@PhilippSumi said:
    I'm seeing there's still a hard dependency on the outdated 29.0.0.1 Google Play Services libraries for Forms.Maps, which makes it impossible to use Firebase instead of GCM. I cannot register a GCM key with Azure anymore because Google deprecated this back in September 2016. I think it was announced recently that those dependencies should completely go away, but if you keep them, those really should be bumped, at least to 29.0.0.2 (I think this has Firebase support).

Correct, in this pre-release that's still the way of things on Android. While it may seem like a no-brainer change that can be easily and quickly made, it unfortunately isn't. We very much want to address it, and as soon as we have a solution that satisfies related concerns, we'll rapidly implement it. I can't give you a timeframe, but stay tuned.

@DavidOrtinau
    Hi, David.
    I don't know if it was on bugzila.
    But I reported few time on release posting.

before 2.3.3 - not happen
    until 2.3.3-pre4 - not happen
    2.3.3 stable and 2.3.4-pre1 as well - happen firsttime
    And Xamarin.forms team said there is a issus at 2.3.3 stable and will release again.
    (at the same time, I tried 2.3.4-pre1, same result)
    2.3.3-SR1 - problem was gone.
    2.3.4.184-pre1(new release) - problem again here.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi Philipp Sumi USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@PhilippSumi said:

Correct, in this pre-release that's still the way of things on Android. While it may seem like a no-brainer change that can be easily and quickly made, it unfortunately isn't. We very much want to address it, and as soon as we have a solution that satisfies related concerns, we'll rapidly implement it. I can't give you a timeframe, but stay tuned.

Thanks for the quick reply David! Given that our app relies on both maps and messaging, these issues threaten the viability of the whole XF platform from our perspective. When you say that you can't give a timeframe: This sounds like a rather distant fix - or is that still on the 2.3.4 or 2.4.0 roadmap? If not, we might have to consider a switch to native in order not to endanger our planned release date (or switch to a polling mechanism like the XF Bike Finder reference app, but that's just horrible ;).

@PhilippSumi said:

Thanks for the quick reply David! Given that our app relies on both maps and messaging, these issues threaten the viability of the whole XF platform from our perspective. When you say that you can't give a timeframe: This sounds like a rather distant fix - or is that still on the 2.3.4 or 2.4.0 roadmap? If not, we might have to consider a switch to native in order not to endanger our planned release date (or switch to a polling mechanism like the XF Bike Finder reference app, but that's just horrible ;).

I don't think anything on the feature roadmap for 2.4 really helps this specific situation. The Xamarin.Forms Embedding in 2.5 slated for sometime in May might, but that is a ways out there.

As soon as I can set a more helpful expectation re: the dependency issue, I will.

@BBright said:
    @DavidOrtinau
    Hi, David.
    I don't know if it was on bugzila.
    But I reported few time on release posting.

before 2.3.3 - not happen
    until 2.3.3-pre4 - not happen
    2.3.3 stable and 2.3.4-pre1 as well - happen firsttime
    And Xamarin.forms team said there is a issus at 2.3.3 stable and will release again.
    (at the same time, I tried 2.3.4-pre1, same result)
    2.3.3-SR1 - problem was gone.
    2.3.4.184-pre1(new release) - problem again here.

Opened: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51536

Added you to the CC list. Would you please drop a code sample in there and any other details? If possible a project to reproduce it also.

@DavidOrtinau
    Hi David, I just sent our project to you via message instead of upload sample project.
    You will find the problem when you run our project.

Thanks!

• mostafamarjimostafamarji mostafa marji USMember

I update to Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1 and I got these errors

The given key was not present in the dictionary

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error The "ResolveLibraryProjectImports" task failed unexpectedly. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'Resto, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken='. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile? File name: 'Resto.dll' at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference, ReaderParameters parameters) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(String fullName, ReaderParameters parameters) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(String fullName) at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.GetAssembly(String fileName) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Extract(ICollection1 jars, ICollection1 resolvedResourceDirectories, ICollection1 resolvedAssetDirectories, ICollection1 resolvedEnvironments) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.ResolveLibraryProjectImports.Execute() at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute() at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext() Resto.Droid

• AndreasKlapperichAndreasKlapperich Andreas Klapperich DE ✭✭
    edited January 15

@mostafamarji
    I had the same error.
    I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

@AndreasKlapperich thanks a lot you saved my time

• WiktorKonckiWiktorKoncki Wiktor Koncki USMember ✭✭

Now this is a sizable list of fixes. Glad you got around dealing with separators on android lists. Will check if it solves my issues later today. Keep up the good work.

• BjornBBjornB Björn Bentmar USMember ✭✭✭

@AndreasKlapperich said:
    @mostafamarji
    I had the same error.
    I removed the xaml compilation ([assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)])

That is not really a solution since you probably want to use XamlCompilation. I also had this issue, a hard clean (delet bin & obj folders, restart vs) solved it for me.

@BjornB I already try your solution but it didn't work

• BjornBBjornB Björn Bentmar USMember ✭✭✭

@mostafamarji said:
    @BjornB I already try your solution but it didn't work

you could also take a look at yout project.csproj and do a manual clean of old versions of xamarin forms

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler Michael Rumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭

I saw that XF 2.3.4 came out and it requires Cycle 9. So I switched from stable to the beta channel on Windows and Mac and installed XamarinVS 4.3.0.550.

Then I tried to upgrade XF from 2.3.2.127 to 2.3.4.184-pre1 and got a bunch of these errors:

App.xaml : error : The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    VMwareConnectionPage.xaml(46,7): error : Position 46:7. No property, bindable property, or event found for 'Icon'

The first one comes in 3 xaml files but I don't get more information. No red line (and no intellisense) anywhere in the files (in VS2015).

The second error comes every time I try to use a ToolbarItem.Icon like this:

<ToolbarItem Text="OpenSettings" Command="{Binding OpenSettingsCommand}"
         Priority="{x:Static common:Numbers.ToolbarItemPriority1}"
         Icon="{x:Static common:Images.Settings}" />

When I reverted to XF 2.3.3.180, then the errors "The given key was not present in the dictionary." were gone but the ToolbarItem.Icon errors were still there. The same with 2.3.3.152-pre2. Only when I went back to 2.3.2.127 then everything worked smooth again.

When I removed XamlC, then the solution got compiled but the app crashes on start (only tried with 2.3.4.184-pre1).

I already posted the problem with ToolbarItem.Icon back in November but it seems nobody read it. I did get a like for it, so obviously somebody else did hit the same problem.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭

@MichaelRumpler Same! We have just forked 2.3.2.127 and stayed with it. Each release since then has XAMLC errors amongst many other problems. Anything above 2.3.2.127 and we had to remove every event from XAML and then other errors kept coming up so we just reverted back to our build until the issues are solved.

• voidvoid Tim A. DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    I work in a team of 4 on a big forms project. We went cycle 9 and 2.3.4 this morning but soon went back to 2.3.2.127 again. I even had to go back to stable .

We're also contemplating forking forms on 2.3.2.127 and adding our own fixes.
  • NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Has some bug fixes we need but can't look at is. Cycle 9 in breaks Android and VS2015 Xamarin integration for Android and iOS on my machine :neutral:

edited January 16

@void our fixes were in XAMLC but I have a feeling they ended up overhauling the entire XAMLC which is why were seeing so many issues.

EDIT: To add we saw a ton of changes in the xaml readers and such to be clearer on that.

@BradChase.2654 said:
    @void our fixes were in XAMLC but I have a feeling they ended up overhauling the entire XAMLC which is why were seeing so many issues.

EDIT: To add we saw a ton of changes in the xaml readers and such to be clearer on that.

There is definitely a lot of working being done in XAMLC to make sure we support nearly everything XAML in Forms supports. I wouldn't use the phrase overhaul, but that's semantics.

@void @BradChase.2654 @MichaelRumpler @mostafamarji have you logged bug reports for those xamlc issues? I want to make sure we have those documented please. Then I can track and follow up on them.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms

@void said:
    I work in a team of 4 on a big forms project. We went cycle 9 and 2.3.4 this morning but soon went back to 2.3.2.127 again. I even had to go back to stable .

We're also contemplating forking forms on 2.3.2.127 and adding our own fixes.

@void thanks for giving it a look, but wise choice backing it down. These are definitely pre-release. Any repro details you can log for us would be greatly appreciated. While forking is always an option, we need to get these things documented and addressed so that's not necessary to get stability.

Anything I can do to help everyone document and makes sure we have reproducible samples, I'm on it. I'm pulling up all my projects and switching over to C9 and 2.3.4.184-pre1 and logging bugs as well.

@NMackay said:
    Has some bug fixes we need but can't look at is. Cycle 9 in breaks Android and VS2015 Xamarin integration for Android and iOS on my machine :neutral:

You can get away with Cycle 8 and 2.3.4.184-pre1 if you wish to check it out that way. We do however need to be testing with Cycle 9 as that is the future.

edited January 16

@DavidOrtinau When this one gets fixed that I put in in october then I will upgrade again and start putting all the new bugs in bugzilla but it makes no sense for us to upgrade right now just to test other bugs.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45179

Thanks for understanding!

EDIT: Also I wanted to note on the XAMLC changes. I have tracked that code for awhile for porting it into a portable library so XAMLC(and XAML) can be used in Monogame and other game screens. I can tell you the code looks like a massive overhaul. Its almost completely different than a year ago. Also I noticed alot of cleanup in the libraries with dependancies which was much appreciated.

@BradChase.2654 said:
    @DavidOrtinau When this one gets fixed that I put in in october then I will upgrade again and start putting all the new bugs in bugzilla but it makes no sense for us to upgrade right now just to test other bugs.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45179

Thanks for understanding!

EDIT: Also I wanted to note on the XAMLC changes. I have tracked that code for awhile for porting it into a portable library so XAMLC(and XAML) can be used in Monogame and other game screens. I can tell you the code looks like a massive overhaul. Its almost completely different than a year ago. Also I noticed alot of cleanup in the libraries with dependancies which was much appreciated.

I do understand, thanks.

Let me clarify the Cycle 8 vs Cycle 9 dependency issue here. After talking a length with the team, there is no Cycle 9 dependency and the release notes have been updated to reflect that.

That said, please review this pre-release on Cycle 8 AND if you're able to on Cycle 9. When logging any issues, be sure to note what you're running.

Thanks all! Great feedback.

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler Michael Rumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau When I use https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?product=Forms to open a ticket, then I get a form where I can enter all the information. After submitting that form I'm redirected to bugzilla where I get the error:

You must select/enter a milestone.

• StephaneDelcroixStephaneDelcroix Stephane Delcroix USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭✭

@BradChase.2654 I acknowledge the existence of the issue you reported regarding creating useless objects declared in DataTemplates, with both Xaml and XamlC. I'm working on it at this very moment.

But I fail to see how this is a blocker for you, o how this slows you down. DataTemplates are meant to be loaded a tremendous amount of times, so they should be pretty quick to instantiate, and one extra instantiation shouldn't matter at all. If it does, I suspect your ListView scrolling is quite painful...