Xamarin.iOS Unified Storyboard Launch screen issue

I've been having some issues recently with a Xamarin.iOS Portable class library project that I've been working on. When launching the app on both the simulator or a device (both of which are on iOS 10.2) it displays a black screen, and then it loads our splash screen. Previously it used to load a 'still' of the splash screen and then the splash screen view controller itself.

Things that I've checked:

1. VS iOS properties: iOS Application:
  • Launch storyboard - Set to the unified storyboard
  • Main interface - Set to the unified storyboard
  • Launch images - Set to 'don't use asset catalogues' - No images stored
  1. Cleared, rebuilt the application several times.

2. Storyboard - Root Segue between the entry navigation controller and the splash screen view controller.

It used to work two days ago, nothing has changed in terms of the project or the settings, or the 'plist' file. so I'm missing something, because Xamarin is not creating the launch image stills from the unified storyboard any more. I've compared this project to another one that's working and there's no differences at all, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things that I might have missed.

Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JoeTomkinson,

Confirm the following:

• The "Launch storyboard" setting needs to match the name of whatever storyboard you have for launch without the .storyboard extension. It should be different than the storyboard used in the Main interface.
    • Make sure this launch storyboard is in the root of the Resources directory.
  • JoeTomkinsonJoeTomkinson GBMember ✭✭

Thanks for the reply John, to answer your first question, we've never used two separate storyboards, it's always been just the main one. Which is why reading the documentation and the online resources doesn't make sense with how the application was initially set up. Even the project that's still loading up the launch screen 'still' only has one main storyboard.

Second question, I've tried this just to see if it makes any difference but it's still loading a blank black screen prior to the splash screen.

Could you explain the purpose of the "Launch Storyboard"? I assumed that the unified storyboard was designed with the mind of making things less complicated across multiple apple device types.