Beta Channel: Cycle 9 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited 2:21AM in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/beta-release-cycle-9-refresh-builds/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This version contains a number of known issues that are under investigation. Additional bug reports are welcome!

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "Cycle 9 Preview" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after installation, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.

• You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

EDIT Jan 18: Update link to Release Blog post for new versions.

• TomSoderlingTomSoderling Tom Soderling USUniversity ✭✭✭

Is there any way to use this Cycle 9 release with Visual Studio for Mac? Or must you use Xamarin Studio?

• glat2glat2 Giovanni Lambiase ITMember
    edited January 11

Please check private bug #51323. Even on 4.3.0.550 build, with VS2017RC the Mac Agent Window does not open on italian localized installations of VS2017RC. I don't know about other languages. Switching to english it opens. It has to be fixed before release.

• TomPeerTomPeer Tom Peer USMember

@BrendanZagaeski

I found a solution for my problem with version 4.3.x.x, described here:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/239082/#Comment_239082

The problem is in the Android-SDK, especially in the "android-sdk\tools\proguard\bin\proguard.bat".

I have to change this line:

java -jar "%PROGUARD_HOME%"\lib\proguard.jar %*

to this:

java -jar "%PROGUARD_HOME%\lib\proguard.jar" %*

After this change all works fine, like in version 4.2.x.x.

• NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

This Cycle9 beta install killed my Xamarin VS2015 Enterprise (SP3) setup (on my home PC thankfully...Win10 Pro x64).

Trying to download the stable installer to see if I can rescue the VS install :neutral:

Basically it doesn't recognise the Android and iOS projects and you can't even go into the Xamarin section in VS2015 properties.

Restoring to Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.2.0.719 and then installing latest stable fixed my environment.

• MHLDMHLD Mário Henrique Lopes Duarte BRBeta

@NMackay , you are not the only one.
    I'm having the same issue.

• stevefoxover.5931stevefoxover.5931 steve foxover USMember

I still have a lot of issues with Forms Previewer. Could you guys do some more docs and blog posts on Forms Previewer. A walk through of how do you get a complicated form to render without errors in Forms Previewer would be nice. Also using Visual Studio instead of on a Mac.

@stevefoxover.5931

Good shout, they are far far to focused on Mac, gets pretty frustrating after a while.

@NMackay I restarted Visual Studio a couple of times and then the projects loaded normally

@MHLD

I did that and even cleared the VS2015 component cache several times but it was totally broken, I restarted 4-5 times.

I'm trying to use Forms Previewer but either the preview does not appear, or a message appears saying "your assemblies are out-of-sync with the installed Xamarin.ndroid version".

• DaveYDaveY david yardy USUniversity

Seeing these comments I am unsure as to try out the beta or not.

• DaveYDaveY david yardy USUniversity

No comments....more concerning :( :'(

• AndyMartin.6838AndyMartin.6838 Andy Martin USMember

Is Multi-Process debugging supposed to allow us to debug iOS Message Extensions? I selected RunItem on my message extension using the simulator. It opened iMessages (though it did not open my message Extension). I went to my message extension, but none of my breakpoints were hit. In the IDE, it shows the stop button, so I'm assuming it is connecting.

• JamesHancock.1360JamesHancock.1360 James Hancock USMember

What version is in the latest vs.net 2017 rc? And how would we update to this?

• AuriRahimzadehAuriRahimzadeh Auri Rahimzadeh USMember
    edited January 18

Created new project with latest beta and it wouldn't compile. Forms Previewer wouldn't show, either. Strange?

region IStoreManager implementation

object locker = new object();
        public async Task InitializeAsync()
        {
            MobileServiceSQLiteStore store = null;
            lock (locker)
            {

if (Client?.SyncContext?.IsInitialized ?? false)
                    return;

var path = "syncstore.db";

** //path = Path.Combine(MobileServiceClient.DefaultDatabasePath, path);

Had to remove the line above in iOS StorageManager.cs to compile. Error was DefaultDatabasePath didn't exist in MobileServiceClient. Maybe you've fixed this already since Sunday. Even though it's beta, I feel the templates should build out of the box before you ship.

edited January 18

Repro steps for above comment:

1. Create a new cross-platform app, making sure to select Host in Azure.
    2. Try to compile.
  • PierceBogganPierceBoggan Pierce Boggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@AuriRahimzadeh: Thanks for letting us know! We already have a PR open to fix this issue with the templates (including adding a PCL option) and also cleaning up the actual File->New wizard UX. Look for it in an upcoming C9 refresh. :smile:

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Due to the new way that VS 2017 RC installs extensions, that will for now depend on the release dates of the latest VS 2017 RC. Each new VS 2017 RC will include approximately the latest Xamarin Cycle 9 update that was available before the RC publication. The pace of updates to the VS 2017 RC updater feed is a bit slower than the pace of updates to the Xamarin updater channels, so there will be a bit of a delay between the 2. (This should mostly only be a noticeable issue during this preview phase of Cycle 9 when new builds are coming out fairly often.)

Work is separately under way to figure out the best approach to allow users to install specific individual versions of Xamarin in VS 2017 RC (for example, if a user wishes to install a build that is not available on the VS 2017 RC updater feed). To give some little estimate, I suspect the recommended approach for that might not be decided until around the time of the Cycle 9 Stable release or a little after.

@PierceBoggan said:
    @AuriRahimzadeh: Thanks for letting us know! We already have a PR open to fix this issue with the templates (including adding a PCL option) and also cleaning up the actual File->New wizard UX. Look for it in an upcoming C9 refresh. :smile:

Thanks, Pierce. I know it's beta. I feel like that kind of bug should have been kept alpha until fixed, though. It seems like a show-stopper out of the box.

Any ideas when that will be fixed? Is there a workaround? I imagine many want to try what's described in the release post.

There I go complaining... VERY much looking forward to seeing the results of the team's incredibly hard work!

• glat2glat2 Giovanni Lambiase ITMember

I had hard problems (see closed bug #51323) by using the original VS2017RC release (v4.3.0.459). Now you released the v4.3.0.598 with correction for the bug and I can't install it in VS2017RC. Before the 598 all versions could be installed in VS2017RC. When can we've a working Xamarin in VS2017RC?

Please see bug #51323. It's a real pain to work without opening Mac Agent connection window.

• JamesHancock.1360JamesHancock.1360 James Hancock USMember

Please fix the mess that is iOS icon setting so that you can reliably just fill them all in and it just works when publishing to the app store. I've spent more than a day messing around trying to get this right and still failing.

If I add one of the right aspect ratio it should automatically fill in all of the items of that size and scale all items smaller than that size but the same aspect ratio automatically and name everything exactly correctly per iOS silly guidelines. Instead you even have to fill in the same size over and over again and it prompts to overwrite every time when it should be renaming the imported file relative to the item that is in question.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt David Hunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@glat2 said:
    I had hard problems (see closed bug #51323) by using the original VS2017RC release (v4.3.0.459). Now you released the v4.3.0.598 with correction for the bug and I can't install it in VS2017RC. Before the 598 all versions could be installed in VS2017RC. When can we've a working Xamarin in VS2017RC?

Please see bug #51323. It's a real pain to work without opening Mac Agent connection window.

@BrendanZagaeski said:

Due to the new way that VS 2017 RC installs extensions, that will for now depend on the release dates of the latest VS 2017 RC. Each new VS 2017 RC will include approximately the latest Xamarin Cycle 9 update that was available before the RC publication. The pace of updates to the VS 2017 RC updater feed is a bit slower than the pace of updates to the Xamarin updater channels, so there will be a bit of a delay between the 2. (This should mostly only be a noticeable issue during this preview phase of Cycle 9 when new builds are coming out fairly often.)

Work is separately under way to figure out the best approach to allow users to install specific individual versions of Xamarin in VS 2017 RC (for example, if a user wishes to install a build that is not available on the VS 2017 RC updater feed). To give some little estimate, I suspect the recommended approach for that might not be decided until around the time of the Cycle 9 Stable release or a little after.