Xamarin.iOS Build for Devices is taking too long

raveroravero USMember ✭✭

Hi fellows,
I'm having several issues with build time for iOS devices (not for the simulator). A build is taking about 5 minutes or more!

I'm using the latest version of Xamarin Studio (6.1.3 Build 19) and the latest version of the Apple SDK's. This is happening on a MBPr 15' i7 16 GB 512 SSD, so It's definitely not an hardware issue (specially because I've never had that kind of issue before on the same machine).

Does anyone facing the same kind of issue?
Regards.

Best Answer

Answers

• SiddharthMishra.4597SiddharthMishra.4597 USUniversity ✭✭

Yes I am having the same issue. Don't know why.

• MarcinKruszynskiMarcinKruszynski USMember ✭✭

I also have the same issue. Any solution?

• AlanClarkAlanClark USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi guys! We actually have a pretty cool guide for timing apps with some handy hints for speeding up build times:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/advanced_topics/ios-build-mechanics/

I'd suggest taking a look at that. However, if this is because you think you've noticed a slow-down since a recent Xamarin update where your project hasn't changed a whole deal, then it might be worthwhile dropping down to a previous version of Xamarin:

https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-downgrading

If you drop back and you're seeing quicker build times than the later release then our engineers are probably going to be eager to take a look. In this case I'd suggest filing a bug:

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/troubleshooting/questions/howto-file-bug/

It'd be great to get people's feedback there!

Cheers,
    Al

• KingChrisColeKingChrisCole USMember ✭✭✭

@AlanClark said:
    However, if this is because you think you've noticed a slow-down since a recent Xamarin update where your project hasn't changed a whole deal, then it might be worthwhile dropping down to a previous version of Xamarin:

https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-downgrading

one step forward, two steps backwards.

why even bother releasing updates if each update is worse than the last?

@KingChrisCole You're paraphrasing me here - that wasn't the tone of my message. We're here to help and to assist with any issues you may come across. My message went on to suggest why you would want to do that and how to make us aware of issues so that we can work with you to address them.

• sudhir.9350sudhir.9350 INUniversity ✭✭

Same problem here.. anyone found any suitable workaround or resolutions?

@sudhir.9350 Please see my message above relating to improving build times and comparing your build times to a previous release of Xamarin to see if things improve and a bug needs to be filed.

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone GBUniversity ✭✭

It's almost impossible to debug an app on an actual iOS device.

I've followed the guide but the process is still incredibly slow.

Honestly it has never been so slow and I think that now Xamarin must do something to improve the performances here.

I'm still thinking that it is a bug...it's not possible that it is taking so long on a device and it's so fast on a simulator.

Please let us know something.

• MichelMoorlagMichelMoorlag USMember ✭✭

Facing the same issues here. Simulator is decent fast but real device is painfully slow to build. I am testing notifications which can only be done on a real device but testing is horrible.

• FelipeZunigaFelipeZuniga AUMember

+1 same issue

edited September 13

Just checking in...

Session build time: 00h 14m 09s 927ms

after latest update

Microsoft should be ashamed of this performance.

3>Done building target "Rebuild" in project "MyProject.iOS.csproj".
    3>
    3>Build succeeded.
    3>
    3>Time Elapsed 00h 09m 44s 54ms