Xamarin.Forms Feature Roadmap

• LGMaestrelliLGMaestrelli Luigi Maestrelli BRMember ✭✭✭
  • TonyDTonyD Antoine El Daher USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau it's now March, can we get a concrete update on the status of perf improvements for Android? I keep checking github and the nightly builds but I still haven't seen any checkins related to perf. Why is that?

• DavidDunscombeDavidDunscombe David Dunscombe GBMember

@TonyD said:
    @DavidOrtinau it's now March, can we get a concrete update on the status of perf improvements for Android? I keep checking github and the nightly builds but I still haven't seen any checkins related to perf. Why is that?

It tends to be in different branches, they've just committed some android fast renderers code (for button, image and label views) which eliminates the ViewGroup container around views and implements IVisualElementRenderer directly, so hopefully for complex layouts should give a boost to general smoothness & reduced inflate time.

• NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@LGMaestrelli

I'm well aware of this issue, hence why we're stuck on cycle8 but at least we can debug.

• DonBoxDonBox Don Box USMember
    edited March 2

@TonyD said:

I'd like to know that too.

What is the concrete \ actual roadmap of the Xamarin Forms product?

Does the Xamarin Forms team has a concrete\clear roadmap? Can we, devs using Xamarin Forms, see it please?

This page is just a discussion page on the upcoming features, but what is the actual \ concrete roadmap which the team uses ? Or is it a secret?

From my point of view, Xamarin Forms development continues on same blurry line.. A lot of promises, teams remains small, nothing changes... I guess it is what it is..

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau David Ortinau USXamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@DonBox this is the roadmap - https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/85747/xamarin-forms-feature-roadmap/p1

Evolution Forum also obviously has some discussion of other features that are being considered.

As it relates specifically to Xamarin.Forms and where it doesn't breach confidentiality with other parties, I think it's fair to say I'm not keeping any secrets.

As mentioned above, Fast Renderers work is in a branch. We did some work on layout compression as well, but need to address how it's implemented so as not to break other APIs.

You can pull and run anything on GitHub to check performance. Make sure to do a release build and not debug. When I have some results of our own to share, I will do so.

• DonBoxDonBox Don Box USMember

@DavidOrtinau So you're saying that for example:

CSS with FlexBox Support - Feature, Enhancement

this is something actually on the concrete roadmap for Q2 2017 !? CSS Flexbox?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau David Ortinau USXamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@DonBox said:
    @DavidOrtinau So you're saying that for example:

CSS with FlexBox Support - Feature, Enhancement

this is something actually on the concrete roadmap for Q2 2017 !? CSS Flexbox?

Yes, that's on the roadmap. It's slightly different now per the Evolution discussion. I'll update the description on the roadmap.

A word of caution as you continue to use the word "concrete". I want to make sure I'm setting the proper expectation for you. Please read the disclaimer on the roadmap post.

• TonyDTonyD Antoine El Daher USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidDunscombe @DavidOrtinau can you point me to this branch where those perf fixes are. I checked the main suspects on github and don't see anything.

• AngryNerdAngryNerd Angry Nerd USMember

@Irreal I love it, this is great :smiley:

• JLewsJLews James Lewis CAMember

@LGMaestrelli @Irreal I have a lot of respect for developers, so after all this inexplicably wasted time, I'm beginning to think the XF team is intentionally botching and delaying Android perf because Google is a competitor to Microsoft.

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes Miguel Cervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

@LGMaestrelli said:
    @Irreal Can I get it on Spotify??

I think is safe to say that most of us, developers, are disappointed with XF

Dude if you are disappointed with XF go to XF's github and make it better! Its open source!

I've been working with XF since 1.3.0 and I must say things are getting better since then, a lot better, its a great technology, but also complex.

Some errors are not from XF, are from VS integration for example. Indeed I'd like to see components to be more polished but I know its just a matter of time for that to happen. Meanwhile, relax, try to sing the Xamarin Rhapsody and make your C# skills do the rest.

• RayTraskRayTrask Ray Trask USMember

Our company is really looking for one stop shopping of FORMS on all the major platforms. It's great to see MacOS on the roadmap, unfortunately since over 70% of PC users are still on Windows 7. Supporting MacOS won't be enough for us to move whole hog!!! How soon until we see support of Forms on Windows7. Or is Forms going to stop at UWP?

Thanks for the great work so far!

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    @RayTrask I believe someone had already started one but appears they have closed it out to start a new version of it. The old PR was here:

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/756
  • DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm Dirk Wilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau

i think there is a little error in the roadmap.

For 2.4.0 - Est Q2 2017 there is 'Deprecation of iOS 6', but the release notes for 2.3.4.184-pre1 say this: '[iOS] Deprecate versions of iOS older than 8 (PR)'

• voidstreamvoidstream PINOT TONY FRMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 9

Yes it is frustrating all these worries including performance with android, carouselview and more but I do not think either harass the team is beneficial. I think they are already putting pressure to themselves, especially if you want a quality result. I expect a lot like you from this update.

@DavidOrtinau Have fun

• JoeMankeJoeManke Joe Manke USMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 9

@RayTrask When Xamarin.Forms started, it featured Windows 8 Phone as a red-headed stepchild of a platform. UWP seems to be getting more support, but I wouldn't expect them to start targeting older, end-of-life platforms.

• AdamPAdamP Adam Pedley AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@RayTrask - WPF on Xamarin Forms is in the works (as speculated from tweets by Miguel), hence Windows 7 desktop support might be possible. We might see a beta of it later this year.

Also Windows 7 is 22.5% global, its less than 50% if you just look at Windows. Its slowly going down.

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 Tobias Schulz DEMember

@AdamP where did he say something related to wpf on forms?

edited March 11

@TobiasSchulz.9796 While I know its a bit of shameless plug, I do keep a track of these things and mention them in my monthly newsletter (http://us13.campaign-archive2.com/home/?u=9bc39dc111f08d2a130409419&id=68a7cafa60) You can look at past issues to what they are like. It has 450+ subscribers and I rarely get an unsubscribe, so I hope that means I am doing something right :)

• dengyejingdengyejing deng yejing USMember

Xamarin.Forms for macOS - Feature
    Xamarin.Forms is coming to macOS, joining iOS, Android, Windows, and Tizen as target platforms for Xamarin.Forms.

like this!!!

• BrightLeeBrightLee Bright Lee KRMember ✭✭✭

Thanks @AdamP
    You're truly the Xamarin helper :)

• GiorgosPapadakisGiorgosPapadakis Giorgos Papadakis USMember

Now that almost every browser supports webassambly why not build something in XF and produce a web app!!!!

• JamesHancock.1360JamesHancock.1360 James Hancock USMember ✭✭

@GiorgosPapadakis Here here! And standardizes XF on UWP XAML too and compile to webassembly.

• JamesHancock.1360JamesHancock.1360 James Hancock USMember ✭✭

MS should just buy this: http://www.cshtml5.com/index.aspx

And integrate it tightly with shared .netstandard libraries and android/ios/uwp. One place to rule them all.

• AdamHillAdamHill Adam Hill USBeta

Since the CSS / FB discussion is closed.

Can someone please tell me what FlexBox gives us that we cant get from XAML with maybe just a few additions? I am a WPF dev as well and there really wasn't any layout we couldn't achievement in XAML with some code-behind.

So why FlexBox?

• voidvoid Tim A. DKBeta ✭✭✭

@AdamHill

Theres no good answer for that specific question.

But if you ask "why was FlexBox added" I believe the answer is "because we had already made it, and we thought everyone would love it".

@void I think @AdamHill's comment pretty clearly demonstrates it's not for "everyone". :)

In the same way that the existing XAML layout system is powerful and productive for some, others find the way a FlexBox-like system flows and adapts makes more sense. You can review it on the dev branch now. We'll be putting out a preview package shortly and will encourage anyone interested to give it a look.

• MikeEEEMikeEEE Michael DeMond USMember ✭✭

@JamesHancock.1360 while I am a big fan of the CSHTML5/JSIL team what you are suggesting would actually be counterproductive to and for .NET. CSHTML5 and JSIL do not offer the capability of PCL or shared code between server and client. While this does make all the code more ".NET", you ultimately still end up with two incompatible codebases between client and server, and are left with the management/maintenance pains as such.

Xamarin is really the best thing that has happened to .NET since Silverlight. They really know their stuff. I myself would prefer to see XF become more of a Noesis-based client model whereby you have the ultimate freedom to create your controls/UX the way you would like without being constrained by platform expectations/constraints. Also, having to create a custom renderer for each custom control for each and every platform seems like a significant hurdle and a lot unnecessary work, especially when such concern is easily handled by theming/templates. You know, much like how the web operates. :smile:

Speaking of which @GiorgosPapadakis, Mono is currently being ported to WebAssembly so that will enable everything you know that runs on Mono to run on the Web. I myself am looking forward to checking out Noesis in full once this happens. ... or XF if it can adapt as well, accordingly :smile:.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger Fredy Wenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

I have asked (regarding the performance) in the pre6 thread (in the hope for a feedback from some developers):
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/87970/xamarin-forms-2-3-4-221-pre6#latest
    Unfortunately - no feedback (I don't hope, this is bad sign...?)
    I fully support the proposal of @rogihee:
    It really would be nice, if Xamarin would create a "performance benchmark app" (containing, specific pages with a lot of labels, a lot of images and a huge listview), would do tests with the benchmark app (at least with new "stable" versions) and let us know the results (startup time and specific pages)...
    So we all could compare the platforms (iOS vs Android vs Windows) but especially the (hopefully) approved performance for each platform

This would especially make sense, as the performance further should be boosted for Android in the further releases this year.
    2.3.4 is estimated for:

2.3.4 - Est Q1 2017

>
    Q1 is over now... maybe an update of the roadmap would make sense...?
    Thanks