Xamarin.Forms Feature Roadmap

167891012»

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman how did you find out that it doesnt work any longer? are you testing on a real device?

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@batmaci - Yes, testing on a physical Amazon Fire tablet

• PaulDiPietroPaulDiPietro USXamarin Team Xamurai

@JohnHardman I don't believe we're aware of such a thing. Is this using a specific version of Forms, or any of them? More details here would be appreciated.

@PaulDiPietro - I was probably still on 2.3.4.x when I previously tested on Amazon Fire, at which point it was working fine. I am currently using XF 2.4.0.38779, but am encountering "Java.Lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: interface not implemented" when I start interacting with the app, for example clicking on a ListView item.

As part of the standard QA process for XF releases, are any UITests run on Amazon Fire to check that basic interactions complete successfully? If so, what Amazon Fire versions are checked?

For info, Xamarin stuff (including various @JamesMontemagno plugins) used is as follows:

"Xam.Plugin.Connectivity" version="2.3.0"
    "Xam.Plugin.Contacts" version="2.0.2-beta1"
    "Xam.Plugin.DeviceInfo" version="2.1.2"
    "Xam.Plugin.Geolocator" version="3.0.4"
    "Xam.Plugins.Notifier" version="2.1.0"
    "Xam.Plugins.Settings" version="2.5.8"
    "Xam.Plugins.Vibrate" version="2.0.0"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Animated.Vector.Drawable" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Annotations" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Compat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Core.UI" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Core.Utils" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.CustomTabs" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Design" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Fragment" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Media.Compat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Transition" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v4" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView" version="24.2.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.MediaRouter" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.Palette" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.RecyclerView" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Vector.Drawable" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Auth" version="1.3.2.7"
    "Xamarin.Build.Download" version="0.4.3"
    "Xamarin.Forms" version="2.4.0.38779"
    "Xamarin.Forms.AppLinks" version="2.4.0.282"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.AppIndexing" version="29.0.0.1"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Base" version="29.0.0.1"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Basement" version="29.0.0.1"

• MuhammadYaseen.2706MuhammadYaseen.2706 USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau I see that Right-To-Left functionality has been moved to VNext+1, what does this mean for the release date? It really is the only thing holding me off from releasing my app.

• PaulDiPietroPaulDiPietro USXamarin Team Xamurai

@JohnHardman Just at a glance, it looks like the Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView's package version is misaligned with the others. Perhaps this could have something to do with it? If it doesn't, it may be worth filing a bug for with a reproduction; we might have seen a report pop up at some point if all Fire devices were being affected like this, so if the package isn't the cause, there could be a certain scenario causing the crash and we'd just need to know more.

• PremShahPremShah USMember ✭✭
    edited March 10
    Hello,
    I want to know roadmap for customizing toolbar item of navigation. Is there any plan?

I am using tabbedpage and I want to add cart badge with counter in toolbatlritem. How is it possible. As I search and found there is no way to customize toolbatlritem so I want to know is there any plan for future release.
  • MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@PremShah
    Take a look at https://www.xamboy.com/2018/03/08/adding-badge-to-toolbaritem-in-xamarin-forms

This discussion should be focused on the roadmap. To add new feature requests, use https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues

@PaulDiPietro - After much investigation, I managed to get things working on Amazon Fire again. The problem appears to have been (although I have not yet confirmed this 100% - will hopefully do that later today, or some time tomorrow) an unresolvable conflict between dependencies on versions of Microsoft.CSharp . Having spotted that, I removed all NuGets and references dependent on Microsoft.CSharp, then re-installed them again.

Having encountered issues before where upgrading or downgrading NuGet packages has left detritus behind (typically in project files), I'm normally pretty good at spotting these sorts of issues. This one with Microsoft.CSharp took quite a while though :-( Before releasing any app to production, I do recommend anybody uninstall all the NuGets they use, check the csproj files for things that shouldn't be there, then re-install the NuGets.

BTW - Do you have any info about how many XF developers are building for Amazon Fire? Whenever I have asked Amazon Fire related questions on the forum I have received zero response. Are XF releases tested on Amazon Fire?

• PaulBrennerPaulBrenner USUniversity ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau there are over 500 bugs listed on GitHub, and it is now Q2, I was just wondering if we could get an update to the roadmap. Thanks

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@PaulBrenner yep, I'll have a roadmap update by Build. It accounts for F100 (the tag on GitHub) and clarifies a few things on the current roadmap.

Please note quite a few of those 500 are housekeeping items as we've been preparing 3.0 for stable release. And I acknowledge more are continuing to migrate from the old Bugzilla instance - such as several I believe you helped elevate (thanks!).

• gkhanikisivrigkhanikisivri USMember

@DavidOrtinau I think 6 week release cycle is long time. For example I will wait 1.5 month for Frame shadow bug. I'm afraid update Xamarin Forms to 3.1 because of Bugs. I agree with @PaulBrenner lets us prioritize issues please.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@PaulBrenner @gkhanikisivri please use the reactions on the issues to register your votes. We are looking at those.

Hi all, just wanted to call attention to our sprint boards up on GitHub. In addition to the feature roadmap, these boards give everyone more visibility into the bug fixes we are working during each sprint.

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/projects

• JeffJones.7832JeffJones.7832 USMember ✭✭

Is a Xamarin XAML Designer ever going to be on the roadmap? We have such designers for XAML in Visual Studio, but for some reason we lack one in Xamarin. Having a designer is key to increasing productivity and time-to-market. From a business and developer-customer standpoint, I do not understand why this is not already present. We had a designer in Visual Basic 1.0 in the last century, for goodness sakes!

The viewer is OK, but does nothing to improve rapid application development (RAD) like a designer would. We have a Windows Forms designer, XAML designer (for Windows apps), even HTML designers - but no Xamarin XAML designer.

Microsoft already knows how - so why not make the designer a priority???

• anpham6anpham6 Member ✭✭

I am working on a cross-platform designer for Android and iOS using HTML. It works rather well with Android and is very accurate in converting HTML to Android XML. I was reading a Xamarin.Forms book at the time which gave me the idea to make one when I noticed there wasn't really a cross-platform designer made by anyone. It is available on GitHub under the project name "androme".

github.com/anpham6/androme

It is built using TypeScript and going all the way I probably would integrate it with Monaco and build a designer inside the browser. That would depend on my library being popular which it isn't since it is only 2.5 months old and nobody knows about it yet. iOS integration would take me no more than a few weeks although that is also based on popularity or demand.

@DavidOrtinau What about Livereload? is it a project to do it once and forget? we were so excited about it but it is not useful any longer. I have already reported 2 major issues. i was told that they are queued, even fixed but since more than 6 months no update. Those are

• Contentview changes arent working. many of use use contentviews heavily
    • Using full linker on android livereload doesnt work at all.

Now recently came out that livereload is using old rx libraries (version 3.0) and most of the useful packages like Prism, Akavache etc we are using updated to latest version 4.x. Installing both causes conflicts and whatever tried we cant fix it.
    I am writing this here because livereload doent have any github for issues. I could fix most of myself even if it was open sourced which is also not. there is only gitter but i dont think that it is as efficient as github issues.

• FedorSulaevFedorSulaev RUMember ✭✭

@batmaci https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/4155#issuecomment-431596130 LiveReload is no more :/ Live Player, Previewer never worked at all for me, LiveReload was a lot more usefull, I don't understand this decision.

@FedorSulaev said:
    @batmaci https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/4155#issuecomment-431596130 LiveReload is no more :/ Live Player, Previewer never worked at all for me, LiveReload was a lot more usefull, I don't understand this decision.

i am guessing that they have some legal issue or conflict with livexaml and gorilla player producers. otherwise such promising tool wouldnt be discontinued. anyway if not Microsoft, somebody else (maybe me :)) will make an open source livereload similar project.

• DierkDrothDierkDroth USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau what are the considerations to officially support webassembly/HTML5?

Considering the dawn of Xamarin Forms 4.X and the latest news on Connect() (open sourcing all relevant MS UI frameworks, but not accepting pull requests for any cross platform initiative) I think it's fair to ask these questions:

Are there any considerations to support webassembly/HTML5 as an official platform for Xamarin Forms?

• If so, could you please elaborate on these considerations?
    • If no, could you please share the reasons which prevented MS from making XF available on webassembly/HTML5?

Note: I'm well aware of Ooui. However, with deep respect for the author and without any offense nor intention to discount his work I have to state:

• there was not much activity on that project recently
    • after all that project is not 'backed up' by MS
      Hence, I could not consider it being at the same level as any potential, official support of Xamarin Forms for webassemblyHTML5
  • CharlesRoddieCharlesRoddie USMember ✭✭

@DierkDroth I haven't looked into the differences, but given your reservations about Ooui you would prefer Blazor. Once Blazor works, it would not be hard to extend Xamarin.Forms to it. However it's not that important as Xamarin Forms already targets all major platforms... and some minor ones.

@CharlesRoddie I don't think I could agree to your statements:

• AFAIK Xamarin Forms is not available in the browser (Ooui aside). Hence, I don't think that Xamarin Forms 'already targets all major platforms'
    • the Blazor programming model is fundamentally different than that of Xamarin Forms. Switching technologies would imply doing all UI from scratch ... which is exactly what I wanted to avoid

To clarify: I'm after a 'programming model' which could be applied consistently to any 'single page application' regardless of target platform. Xamarin Form is a good candidate. However, it would not target the browser (at this time)

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to see and serve my Xamarin app in a browser on my "full size" screen (it's a completely different universe).
    For me, one have to decide, if one want to target the browser or the app universe right now.
    If only app, go with Xamarin or Flutter or React native.
    If browser and public (accessible over the Internet), try to support mobiles as good as possible (as long as you do not need to use the HW interfaces to the mobiles, this is possible right now).

@DierkDroth 1. Xamarin.Forms is available for all major OSes. 2. Why do you think that Xamarin.Blazor is impossible?

Each on their own. Different target audience may have different requirements. We have 3 different target audiences:

• Windows desktop (already is covered by WPF)
    • mobile app (could be Xamarin.Forms, any HW access is irrelevant for us)
    • browser/web (don't want to have a 3rd, different 'programming environment' there)

@CharlesRoddie you're missing my point:

• Xamarin Forms is not available in the browser/web (which is a target audience for us)
    • I never said Blazor is "impossible" (not sure what you mean by that term though)
    1. All I am saying is that regardless of OS people can use your Xamarin.Forms app. I understand that for very simple or single-use apps people may prefer browser as it's slightly less effort to get started (no install/uninstall perhaps saving 5s each of user time). So I am not against extending Xamarin.Forms to web.
    2. You seemed to dismiss my statement that "Once Blazor works, it would not be hard to extend Xamarin.Forms to it.". Either you misread or you assumed it was obviously wrong because Xamarin.Forms Blazor would actually be impossible.

@CharlesRoddie
    on 1) We're having a different view on the browser/web use case: the resulting browser app (SPA) will by no means be any less complex than a mobile app. It's actually quite the opposite.
    on 2) Your speculation is as good as mine is. I'm looking for a statement from one of the 'officials' who are in charge for Xamarin Forms. Hence, my original inquiry.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited 10:26AM
    Desktop Dev for Web: platform.uno or hummingbird

@void thanks

• Uno Platform: We're actually evaluating it right now. Still it would be great to have something officially supported by MS.
    • Hummingbird: This was a new one for me. Issue there is that this appears to be a completely different programming paradigm (Flutter/Dart) than the WPF/XAML/... which we're using on desktop. Still trying to re-use the proficiency we gained on the desktop for mobile and web development...
167891012»