Xamarin.Forms Feature Roadmap

167891012»

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman how did you find out that it doesnt work any longer? are you testing on a real device?

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@batmaci - Yes, testing on a physical Amazon Fire tablet

• PaulDiPietroPaulDiPietro USXamarin Team Xamurai

@JohnHardman I don't believe we're aware of such a thing. Is this using a specific version of Forms, or any of them? More details here would be appreciated.

@PaulDiPietro - I was probably still on 2.3.4.x when I previously tested on Amazon Fire, at which point it was working fine. I am currently using XF 2.4.0.38779, but am encountering "Java.Lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: interface not implemented" when I start interacting with the app, for example clicking on a ListView item.

As part of the standard QA process for XF releases, are any UITests run on Amazon Fire to check that basic interactions complete successfully? If so, what Amazon Fire versions are checked?

For info, Xamarin stuff (including various @JamesMontemagno plugins) used is as follows:

"Xam.Plugin.Connectivity" version="2.3.0"
    "Xam.Plugin.Contacts" version="2.0.2-beta1"
    "Xam.Plugin.DeviceInfo" version="2.1.2"
    "Xam.Plugin.Geolocator" version="3.0.4"
    "Xam.Plugins.Notifier" version="2.1.0"
    "Xam.Plugins.Settings" version="2.5.8"
    "Xam.Plugins.Vibrate" version="2.0.0"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Animated.Vector.Drawable" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Annotations" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Compat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Core.UI" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Core.Utils" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.CustomTabs" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Design" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Fragment" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Media.Compat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Transition" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v4" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView" version="24.2.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.MediaRouter" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.Palette" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.RecyclerView" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Android.Support.Vector.Drawable" version="25.3.1"
    "Xamarin.Auth" version="1.3.2.7"
    "Xamarin.Build.Download" version="0.4.3"
    "Xamarin.Forms" version="2.4.0.38779"
    "Xamarin.Forms.AppLinks" version="2.4.0.282"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.AppIndexing" version="29.0.0.1"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Base" version="29.0.0.1"
    "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Basement" version="29.0.0.1"

• MuhammadYaseen.2706MuhammadYaseen.2706 USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau I see that Right-To-Left functionality has been moved to VNext+1, what does this mean for the release date? It really is the only thing holding me off from releasing my app.

• PaulDiPietroPaulDiPietro USXamarin Team Xamurai

@JohnHardman Just at a glance, it looks like the Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView's package version is misaligned with the others. Perhaps this could have something to do with it? If it doesn't, it may be worth filing a bug for with a reproduction; we might have seen a report pop up at some point if all Fire devices were being affected like this, so if the package isn't the cause, there could be a certain scenario causing the crash and we'd just need to know more.

• PremShahPremShah USMember ✭✭
    edited March 10
    Hello,
    I want to know roadmap for customizing toolbar item of navigation. Is there any plan?

I am using tabbedpage and I want to add cart badge with counter in toolbatlritem. How is it possible. As I search and found there is no way to customize toolbatlritem so I want to know is there any plan for future release.
  • MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@PremShah
    Take a look at https://www.xamboy.com/2018/03/08/adding-badge-to-toolbaritem-in-xamarin-forms

This discussion should be focused on the roadmap. To add new feature requests, use https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues

@PaulDiPietro - After much investigation, I managed to get things working on Amazon Fire again. The problem appears to have been (although I have not yet confirmed this 100% - will hopefully do that later today, or some time tomorrow) an unresolvable conflict between dependencies on versions of Microsoft.CSharp . Having spotted that, I removed all NuGets and references dependent on Microsoft.CSharp, then re-installed them again.

Having encountered issues before where upgrading or downgrading NuGet packages has left detritus behind (typically in project files), I'm normally pretty good at spotting these sorts of issues. This one with Microsoft.CSharp took quite a while though :-( Before releasing any app to production, I do recommend anybody uninstall all the NuGets they use, check the csproj files for things that shouldn't be there, then re-install the NuGets.

BTW - Do you have any info about how many XF developers are building for Amazon Fire? Whenever I have asked Amazon Fire related questions on the forum I have received zero response. Are XF releases tested on Amazon Fire?

• PaulBrennerPaulBrenner USUniversity ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau there are over 500 bugs listed on GitHub, and it is now Q2, I was just wondering if we could get an update to the roadmap. Thanks

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@PaulBrenner yep, I'll have a roadmap update by Build. It accounts for F100 (the tag on GitHub) and clarifies a few things on the current roadmap.

Please note quite a few of those 500 are housekeeping items as we've been preparing 3.0 for stable release. And I acknowledge more are continuing to migrate from the old Bugzilla instance - such as several I believe you helped elevate (thanks!).

• gkhanikisivrigkhanikisivri USMember

@DavidOrtinau I think 6 week release cycle is long time. For example I will wait 1.5 month for Frame shadow bug. I'm afraid update Xamarin Forms to 3.1 because of Bugs. I agree with @PaulBrenner lets us prioritize issues please.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@PaulBrenner @gkhanikisivri please use the reactions on the issues to register your votes. We are looking at those.

Hi all, just wanted to call attention to our sprint boards up on GitHub. In addition to the feature roadmap, these boards give everyone more visibility into the bug fixes we are working during each sprint.

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/projects

• JeffJones.7832JeffJones.7832 USMember ✭✭

Is a Xamarin XAML Designer ever going to be on the roadmap? We have such designers for XAML in Visual Studio, but for some reason we lack one in Xamarin. Having a designer is key to increasing productivity and time-to-market. From a business and developer-customer standpoint, I do not understand why this is not already present. We had a designer in Visual Basic 1.0 in the last century, for goodness sakes!

The viewer is OK, but does nothing to improve rapid application development (RAD) like a designer would. We have a Windows Forms designer, XAML designer (for Windows apps), even HTML designers - but no Xamarin XAML designer.

Microsoft already knows how - so why not make the designer a priority???

• anpham6anpham6 Member

I am working on a cross-platform designer for Android and iOS using HTML. It works rather well with Android and is very accurate in converting HTML to Android XML. I was reading a Xamarin.Forms book at the time which gave me the idea to make one when I noticed there wasn't really a cross-platform designer made by anyone. It is available on GitHub under the project name "androme".

github.com/anpham6/androme

It is built using TypeScript and going all the way I probably would integrate it with Monaco and build a designer inside the browser. That would depend on my library being popular which it isn't since it is only 2.5 months old and nobody knows about it yet. iOS integration would take me no more than a few weeks although that is also based on popularity or demand.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau What about Livereload? is it a project to do it once and forget? we were so excited about it but it is not useful any longer. I have already reported 2 major issues. i was told that they are queued, even fixed but since more than 6 months no update. Those are

• Contentview changes arent working. many of use use contentviews heavily
    • Using full linker on android livereload doesnt work at all.

Now recently came out that livereload is using old rx libraries (version 3.0) and most of the useful packages like Prism, Akavache etc we are using updated to latest version 4.x. Installing both causes conflicts and whatever tried we cant fix it.
    I am writing this here because livereload doent have any github for issues. I could fix most of myself even if it was open sourced which is also not. there is only gitter but i dont think that it is as efficient as github issues.

167891012»