Xamarin.Forms Feature Roadmap

• CharlesRoddieCharlesRoddie USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    WPF I need to get an update on.

I'd be grateful for a WPF update too

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭

@piecy

3.0 Q3 2017

That's all we know. Wait for 2.4 to go stable before you get too worried about the release after that.

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 DEMember ✭✭

Are there any news?

It's sad that xamarin is always struggling with this.

• VincentwxVincentwx CAMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    @Vincentwx GTK is looking really strong. @jsuarezruiz has been crushing it!

https://github.com/jsuarezruiz/forms-gtk-progress/blob/master/Gallery.md

WPF I need to get an update on.

The GTK one looks very comprehensive. Currently we use material design theme on WPF with the following tool kit.

https://github.com/ButchersBoy/MaterialDesignInXamlToolkit

It would be great if Xamarin.Forms with GTK can have material design theme on linux, mac and windows.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@CharlesRoddie oh, I don't want WPF in the backlog at all. I'm trying to get it completed. I hope to have good news on that front soon. As it stands today, with what we have to work, it's in the backlog.

It is not a matter of prioritizing Mac or GTK above WPF.

• AlbertKAlbertK MYMember ✭✭✭

@KalpeshChheda said:
    @DavidOrtinau Hi, I know there are many things are going on xamarin. But what available in xamarin forms is enough to make good and responsive app with some tweaks for us. But the only problem causing us is app startup time
    Specially in Android.
    I know its in milestone. But if possible in next preview please do something for app startup. Thanks.
    If any one wants this please 1+

Yes, please. Need massive speed improvement and apk size to be small in that order. Thank you.

• KalpeshChhedaKalpeshChheda USMember
    @joshua.7347 My app is taking 10 to 13 seconds to loadup.
  • FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

+100 to @joshua.7347
    I really don't understand, that the PopOver (that is missing since the start of .Forms) is shifted to backlog although it should be there already (according to the last version if the roadmap).
    his is an important basic control.

@DavidOrtinau Do you have any WPF news for us?

• dinobuljubasicdinobuljubasic USUniversity ✭✭

sweeeet!!!

• AnthonyBoudouvasAnthonyBoudouvas GRMember ✭✭

I tried the latest VS for Mac alpha version and i saw that i cannot create a new project so to use Xamarin.Forms for Mac development. It seems that i need to have first installed iOS or Android support to do that. Am i doing something wrong or is that a actually the case? And will Xamarin.Forms 3.0 will allow us to just build Mac software with Forms without the need for mobile too?

• DnielBugaDnielBuga USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau FYI, the link to Layout Compression is a 404, the correct one is https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/tree/compressedlayout

"on your linux desktop and your mac"... "on your linux desktop"...

No mention of wpf

What is this craziness?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@AnthonyBoudouvas said:
    I tried the latest VS for Mac alpha version and i saw that i cannot create a new project so to use Xamarin.Forms for Mac development. It seems that i need to have first installed iOS or Android support to do that. Am i doing something wrong or is that a actually the case? And will Xamarin.Forms 3.0 will allow us to just build Mac software with Forms without the need for mobile too?

We will be releasing templates to support this. You don't need iOS or Android to do Mac. For the moment, I recommend creating a new Blank Forms application from the templates, then you can either ignore or remove the iOS and Android projects. Then add a new Cocoa project to the solution and modify it to run Xamarin.Forms following the blog post.

Hi David and thank you for your help!

Ok, these templates would be more than welcomed! But for now, the New Project Wizard does not allow me to make a new Blank Forms Apps. It sees that i dot not have any iOS or Android Xamarin stuff installed and the final "next" button is greyed-out! I had to run the VS for Mac installer again and check the iOS entry (so the iOS stuff be installed) to allow me to complete that wizard and finally add a Mac project.

@DavidOrtinau said:

@AnthonyBoudouvas said:

We will be releasing templates to support this. You don't need iOS or Android to do Mac. For the moment, I recommend creating a new Blank Forms application from the templates, then you can either ignore or remove the iOS and Android projects. Then add a new Cocoa project to the solution and modify it to run Xamarin.Forms following the blog post.

Hmm...i did exactly as David's post describe and i have some errors now (in AppDelegate.cs):

• "Error: 'AppDelegate.MainWindow': No suitable method to override and
    • "Error: The name 'LoadApplication' does not exist in the current context.

Clearly something is missing...

I have Xamarin.Forms packages and Xamarin.Mac reference, what i am doing wrong? I have VS for Mac latest stable version, do i need to switch to Alpha and update for this to work?

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 9

Not strictly Xamarin.Forms related but may affect a number of devs here (including Xamarin ones):

Microsoft gives up on Windows 10 Mobile

Does anyone know where this may leave UWP?

• DavidDunscombeDavidDunscombe GBMember ✭✭

Have also tried the GTK# and WPF builds from their respective github forks, both are looking promising! Tried the weather app demo for both, both seem fine performance wise the WPF edged it on the resizing the window. Also I see the WPF port is using the fast renderers methodology throughout - I wonder if with XAMLC it all works out actually faster to load a layout than native WPF, would be mildly humorous if so :)

I hope we will see some desktop centric controls coming from xamarin for these desktop ports, (i.e. treeview!)

Also one last point is that GTK# xamarin forms can be themed, the movie GTK# app uses a material design like theme (https://github.com/nana-4/materia-theme). I tried xaml material design with the WPF port but did not see any evident theming - would be nice if it did for mahapps and xaml material design compatibility.

• KingNguyenKingNguyen USMember ✭✭

I'm Confused that I should continue with XF or change to other like React. I want to follow something that is future. Sorry for my bad english.

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau Does Xamarin still accepts a PR for some of those features in the backlog? https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/105094/popups-with-custom-content

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndrewMobile said:
    @DavidOrtinau Does Xamarin still accepts a PR for some of those features in the backlog? https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/105094/popups-with-custom-content

I've had a PR for a SwipeGesture since 22nd June
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1007

I see a lot of bug fixes PR's being accepted but not new features.

@seanyda yes, bug fix PRs are getting the vast majority of our teams focus. We are preparing a series of service releases for 2.4.0 right now in particular.

I wish we could move faster on PRs like your's. I'll see if I can get some feedback on where things stand with that PR and the many others that have been waiting so we at least communicate status and intention.

@KingNguyen said:
    I'm Confused that I should continue with XF or change to other like React. I want to follow something that is future. Sorry for my bad english.

Shoot me an email david.ortinau@microsoft and I'll be happy to discuss this with you. I cannot imagine a better place to invest than Xamarin. Biased and unashamed. :)

@AndrewMobile said:

Let's discuss on that Evolution thread.

• @DavidOrtinau Any updates on the RTL support?