I keep a black screen when opening my app on emulator

Hello,

I am just starting to work with Xamarin to try and create an android/IOS app. I followed a few tutorials and starting making a few "practice" apps using Xamarin and Visual Studio 2015. In the visual studio designer everyting looks like it should and I can succesfully deploy the app to different emulators.

After the app is deployed I can start the app which starting inmediatly. After the starting I get a black screen with only the name of the app in the screen itself, below the app name (where the button/text etc. should be) there is only a black screen. I first thought that this would take some time for the emulator to display everything but even after a half an hour I still see nothing.

I found that a few people have had issues with this but not one of the sollutions provided helped me on my way. Would there be any change somebody here has a suggestion or could like to look at some logs to figure out what is going on?

Any help will be apreciated!

Kind regards,

Mark

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

if the app is not updating on the emulator you should uninstall the app you are working on the emulator and try debugging again

• TinmanMarkTinmanMark NLMember

Thank you for your reply Kentucker, unfortunatly nothing has changed after uninstalling and redeploy of the app.

What emulators are you using? The screen shot does not look like the hyper-v one

• TinmanMarkTinmanMark NLMember

Sorry to bother you, I have found the sollution to my problem and it was a stupid failure from my side.

In the mainactivity file I have failed to remove the comments before the line to start with the main.cfg file. Somehow I missed that step in the tutorial I was following.

So my app was working perfect with just showing an empty mainactivity file. Anyway thank you for your time in this!

Glad you figured it out

• thanks bro it work @TinmanMark

• @TinmanMark help me. I can't understand what you had done to remove this error. I'm newbie in this field.
    i have same problem with visual studio emulator for android. give me full steps you followed to remove this error.

This blog post should show you how to fix your hyper-v emulators.

https://csharp2ae.blogspot.com/2016/12/fixing-your-hyper-v-emulators.html