How do I install Xamarin Component (.xam file) in Visual Studio?

It seems I can only install Xamarin Components from Component Store. Now the component I need to install is distributed via file only. How do I install it in VS?

Answers

• Hi there,

Did you get an answer to this?

I am also having an issue with trying to install a component for an RFID reader to an Android project. The manufacturer has supplied a xamarin component (.xam) file and suggested using the the xamarin-component.exe tool to install it.

Whenever I try and download the tool I get a virus warning from Windows Defender. The link supplied for the tool is components.xamarin.com/submit/xpkg

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Donovan

• donovanjakobidonovanjakobi USMember
    edited September 27

Ok... so for anyone else struggling I have found a solution.

Through NuGet Package Manager I installed EMDK For Xamarin. This package contained the xamarin-component.exe tool.

Once it was installed I simply searched for the install directory and then used xamarin-component.exe tool to install my component.

For reference the path to the tool was C:\Users\Public\Symbol EMDK for Xamarin\VS15\v2.5 on my machine.

To install your component simply:

• Open a Command Prompt (I ran mine as administrator)
    • Change to the install directory cd C:\Users\Public\Symbol EMDK for Xamarin\VS15\v2.5
    • Use xamarin-component.exe install c:\theFolderWhereYouSavedComponent\yourComponent.xam

Once the component was installed I was then able to open Visual Studio, and my project, right click on components and add my component to the project.

Hope that helps :)

• BenHlzemerBenHlzemer USMember ✭✭

if you don't find the EMDK in nuget you can get the xamarin-component.exe tool here:
    https://components.xamarin.com/submit/xpkg