Forum Xamarin.Forms

Implement Effects on Cells

MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Xamarin.Forms

Summary

Effects would be useful for Cells too. The Effects property is on Xamarin.Forms.Element which Cell inherits from, so you can add an Effect to your Cell, but it is ignored because it was never implemented.

API Changes

None
As Cell already inherits from Element and Element has the Effects collection, the API is already there.

Intended Use Case

See the Effects documentation.

Off Topic

This is obviously a bug to me. If the API allows something, but it does not work, then it is a bug. So I filed bug 39739 in February 2016. Yesterday @PaulDiPietro commented on the bug that I should raise the topic here.
Shall I open a topic in the Evolution forum to suggest that each of my bugs get fixed?

Would you please clarify when to use the Evolution forum, UserVoice, the forms-devel mailing list or anything else. Because I really don't understand it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can add that clarification to your Please Read First post.
When I first read about the Evolution forum, I thought that it would replace UserVoice (because you clearly don't care about UserVoice at all). But @pierce.boggan tweeted otherwise. The forms-devel list was good in the beginning, but doesn't seem to be used anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I think this forum is better than either, but then you should officially close the other options (and migrate open topics).

Rejected · Last Updated

Since our long term goal is to eliminate Cell and this would have a negative impact on cell realization performance, we are not intending to implement this support at this time.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    edited December 2016

@MichaelRumpler,

Sorry for the confusion! As you say, there are many different mechanisms for feedback, and it's not exactly clear which one to use.

All bugs should be raised in Bugzilla. For enhancement and feature requests, there are two options: Uservoice or the Xamarin.Forms Evolution subforum. The Uservoice should be used for proposals that are simply broad ideas without backing specifics (e.g. adding multibinding support), while this forum should be used in circumstances where those specific proposal details can be provided. I agree we haven't done a great job of keeping the Uservoice up-to-date, but I'm working on fixing that now. :smile:

We are writing something up to make this distinction a bit clear, so that when you have feedback, you know where to post it and be heard.

Back on topic, wouldn't there be some pretty significant performance implications?

• TheRealJasonSmithTheRealJasonSmith USXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes the performance implications of supporting Effects on cells is somewhat dramatic since it makes cell realization even more expensive.

• rmarinhormarinho PTMember, Insider, Beta Xamurai

Is our general goal to one day move away from cell's to views and that way this will be supported out of the box. i will skip this proposal for now.