Serious problems in Xamarin Studio

I am very disappointed with the product. If I put a break point the program crashes. If I change the layout of a screen it does not reflect in the application, it seems that stores temporary old files and is using them. I've done the update, already cleared the project and nothing works. For example, I removed one UIToolbar of a screen using Xcode and that bar never disappears from the application when I run it.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2013

I think I've fixed the last of the breakpoint crashes. You can follow along in this bug report and try the nightly builds that I've linked to in the bug report: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14917

Xcode syncing is something that will largely be going away in 4.2 because of the iOS Designer that Xamarin Studio will be getting.

In the meantime, a trick to get Xamarin Studio to sync changes is to keep an eye on the Action Bar at the top of Xamarin Studio and to try switching back and forth between Xamarin Studio and another app (but preferably not Xcode again) until you see it say "Synchronizing changes from Xcode...".

I don't know why, but sometimes Xamarin Studio doesn't get the "you've been refocused" event and so doesn't know it should sync from Xcode.

Another trick is to click inside of one of your source code editor windows in Xamarin Studio - that often does the trick as well.

I've noticed that that is my workflow and so I was never noticing these "XS doesn't sync my changes from Xcode!" issues that some people seem to be having. Having met some people with these problems at Evolve back in April, I saw the difference between my workflow and theirs and I narrowed it down to that. I have absolutely no idea why XS isn't getting the event and attempts at figuring out why have all been fruitless.

Anyway, hope that helps.

• KevinMullinsKevinMullins USMember, Beta ✭✭

jstedfast,

Have you ever thought of adding a menu item / keystroke to the Build or Project menu to force a re-sync? I think that would go a long way towards easing people's issue and should be very easy to implement.

Sometimes I have to do a clean build, run the app in the simulator, exit the app and THEN XS will update... that's vary rare now. The last several updates made things work better for me.

Kev

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Yea, but I wanted to avoid doing that because it's a hack and it makes me feel dirty. But oh well, I give up... I've added a Tools menu item to force a sync with Xcode. It should be available in the next Alpha.