Intellisense

Laura83Laura83 USMember ✭✭

Hi guys. Today I can't enable XAML intellisense... I found many suggestions online but neither of them works.... -_-

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura83

Buy ReSharper.

Sorry to say, its the only real way to get good Intellisense in VS2015 for Xamarin.

or, are you using VS2017RC? The Intellisense is supposed to be better. Still, I wouldn't want to be without ReSharper: Its that useful.

• Laura83Laura83 USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'm using Visual Studio 2015 (14.0.25431.01) but it worked fine until yesteday -_-"

• FlorianMICHALONFlorianMICHALON FRMember ✭✭✭

I have same problem with visual Studio 2017 after an update xaml intellisense doesn't work , any one have an idea?

• FlorianMICHALONFlorianMICHALON FRMember ✭✭✭

I resolve my problem. I delete my obj folder . And after open project the intellisense come back.

• MikeSorelMikeSorel USMember

@ClintStLaurent

In your comment you say "Buy ReSharper ... the only real way to get good Intellisense in VS2015 for Xamarin."
    Do you really mean "good Intellisense" or in fact is this the only way to get any Intellisense at all?

If there is some way to turn on the built in XAML Intellisense then I would be grateful if someone could explain how to do this.

I have VS Enterprise 2015 Version 1.4.0.25425.01 Update 3 and Xamarin 4.2.2.11

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

edited February 2017

@MikeSorel

I know I had it working long ago (Pre buying ReSharper). I know it does/did work.

I remember there was an installer/package put out by Xamarin a long while back to address the intellisense issue. Then that package was removed after some upgrade or another of the Xamarin For Visual Studio package.
    This other thread on Intellisense even mentions the package with a link
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/64005/intellisense-problem-in-visual-studio
    Along with several step-by-step instructions that have been successful for others.

Thanks @ClintStLaurent, I have tried working through that but no luck. Although the steps seem to be successful for some, there are just as many for whom they do not work.
    Does anyone know if there is a paid Xamarin support option (not Upwork or Fiverr) for someone to screen share and fix this problem for me?
    Regards
    Mike

@MikeSorel

Xamarin support options page:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/troubleshooting/support-options/

Also, if you are currently enrolled in Xamarin University there are x number of hours dedicated with a teacher for one-on-one timer. This might be an 'off label' use of 1-2 of those hours, but if you got the right teacher.

Then there is the third option... If you're willing to pay for help just to get Intellisense, just pay for ReSharper. For the same money (less than $100) and a 5 minute install you will get Intellisense and a whole lot more that makes your coding life easier.

Thanks @ClintStLaurent,
    If ReSharper was less than $100, then I would be all over it, but to me it looks like it costs US$299 per user for the year, with our horrible exchange rate that comes to about AU$390, times the number of users we would need, is adding up to be quite expensive to fix something that you would think should work. But I will investigate anyway.
    Once again thank you very much for your help.
    Mike

@MikeSorel
    Sorry to hear about the exchange rate, mate. I haven't looked in a while.
    As for the cost I just looked at my email receipts. USD $89/yr for a perpetual license. Plus I remember that when I bought this the second year is free, then the 3rd and following are paid:

Of course companies change their income models/subscription schemes etc. on occassion - so this may or may not still be the policy. I was also already a ReSharper user - maybe this was an upgrade/conversion option? I don't recall.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

I'm another using Resharper, in the UK the exchange rate is equally horrible but I'm on a similar VS2015 SP3 'Enterprise' version and at home and work on Win10 x64 I couldn't get XAML intellisence working, ended up using Resharper which has lots of other great features, Xamarin Forms XAML support is a bonus.

For multiple users it does get very expensive though and the licencing model is a bit unfair. You also become a bit dependent on it but it give a good productivity boost.