Xamarin.Mac 3.0 stable?

Dear Xamarin,

Is Xamarin.Mac 3.0 ever going to stable? or even Beta? 10.12 has been out for a few months now. The only way to use the new features for a mac app is using the alpha version. I have android, ios and mac apps out now based on the alpha channel because of this. But it does not feel very comfortable.

In another 6 months the beta for macOS 10.13 will be out already. This is just taking to long !

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USXamarin Team Xamurai

Short answer - Yes, early next year. Also, Xamarin.Mac is likely to have very few changes from the alpha we just updated yesterday, so consider using that now if you have interest in those APIs.

Longer explanation:

• macOS 10.12 was interesting this year because of how it's release dates interacted with iOS's latest release. Apple previewed the macOS and iOS APIs at the same time, so we were able to bind all or almost all of the APIs before release, which is significantly better than previous releases.
    • However, Apple released iOS significantly earlier that macOS. Since Xamarin has a policy of releasing iOS bindings on release, we pushed those new bindings to stable. However, since the new macOS had not been released yet, we could not
      release along side.

• So then the question became, do we add additional APIs in a service release (C8SR2 for example) or "wait" until the next major release.

• We decided that adding in a huge number of new APIs in a service release seemed suboptimal, as we generally use them to carry only critical and blocking fixes and try to keep them small and completely safe to upgrade to.
    • However, since Cycle 9 was so far away, we did the "alpha channel preview" so people could use them without building or downloading master builds manually.
    • Yesterday we updated the alpha channel with a brand new build from the Cycle 9 branch, and I currently know of no additional changes that will land between now and release (unless QA or customers report issues). So using it should be really close to what will land in stable early next year (the version number will change as we rebuild it later, for example).

We recognize that these bindings took way to long to make it to stable and are working on ways to improve future releases.

• Thank you for the explanation Chris.

Good to hear that the current alpha is in good shape. I haven't seen any problems with it lately.

When switchting to alpha everthing goes to alpha, mac, android and iOS. It would be very helpfull if you could find a way of providing a new api for one platform without having to update the others beyond stable.

But I realise that this may be very difficult because iOS and macOS share allot

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USXamarin Team Xamurai

It would be very helpfull if you could find a way of providing a new api for one platform without having to update the others beyond stable.

But I realise that this may be very difficult because iOS and macOS share allot

There are a number of reasons our updater by default "takes everything" from a given channel:

• We test that combination of components together and not the huge number of other possible combinations.
    • Sometimes there are cross component dependencies, where we need a given Xamarin Studio or Mono for some feature to work.

It is possible to download the specific pkg for a given Xamarin.Mac, and use a newer Xamarin.Mac with the older components, for example. You can also uncheck various updates in the update manager to install only a subset of updates, but it is not the most tested stable configuration (if it breaks, I'd suggest going back to a matched set).