MacbookPro + VMWare vs. Native Windows + Mini mac

IshThomasIshThomas USMember ✭✭

Hi,
I was wondering how many people has an experience working on those two configurations:

1. MacBook with installed VMWare Fusion. All your work is done on VM, Macbook is only used to "host" the virtual machine and as an Apple device (to deploy/run iOS stuff in iOS Simulator (based in XCode).

2. Other laptop with Windows installed and connected to the external Apple device - like Mini Mac for example.

Is the difference in performance big?

I have Macbook Pro 13", with 2.7Ghz i5 and 16GB of ram. I give my VM both cores and 8GB of ram and it still looks pretty slow. I don't have any experience developing on native Windows.

What are your thoughts? Would you work on Macbook Pro?

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Do you need windows? I run a MBP and do everything in Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio for Mac, although admittedly I don't do UWP development.

If you are just developing for iOS an Android I'd give up on Windows and move to pure Mac. XS/VS for Mac might not be as fully featured as Visual Studio on Windows but it's much faster, does pretty much all you need and avoids the need for a windows VM.

• IshThomasIshThomas USMember ✭✭

@Jim that's interesting point. I work in VS on Windows for over 7 years now. I would be a huge step to give up on arguably the best IDE ever made :) But.. I think I'm gonna try it.

The only thing that bothers me a little, how the repository is handled? Can I pull the code on windows and just compile? Or do I have to reconfigure it? While answering it, please bear in mind all those stuff like HAXM, Hyper-V and other things...

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

If you run the Xamarin installer on Mac it sets everything up that you need to get going (with the exception of Xcode, you have to install that yourself from the App store). Once you have it installed, then you can just take the same code you used on windows, load the same solution file, rebuild and get going. It's pretty seamless. Hyper-V is windows only, so nothing to do there, the default Xamarin install sets up intel HAXM for you.