Am I just getting Jaded or is it really getting worse?

DavidStrickland0DavidStrickland0 USMember ✭✭✭

Been developing on Xamarin for a couple years now. But recently I seem to spend more time on wiring then I do on coding.

Open Visual Studion ... iOS Mac Agent wont open... unexpected error. Restart IDE.

Go to connect iOS Agent ... Wont Connect ... reboot mac.
Go to connect iOS Agent ... Wont Connect ... Update Xamarin.
Go to connect iOS Agent ... Wont Connect ... check for XCode Update.

Mac agent Connects but wont stay connected ... reboot Mac

Mac Agent Connects but wont identify Emulator Options. Start up XCode and run a xcode project to get simulator working.

Mac Agent Connects Finds Physical Device but wont deploy ... Unknown error. Package miss match etc. Uninstall old version.

Droid --- Resource not found. Clean, Rebuild, Remove references update version Install additional Android packages. Restart, Reboot, Reinstall.
Throw Computer out window grab a tin cup and go sit on street corner.

These have always been a part of Xamarin Development (perhaps not the street corner) but is it getting worse or am I just turning into that old Unix coder that sits in the basement and everyone is scared of?

• DavidStrickland0DavidStrickland0 USMember ✭✭✭

So after sitting on said Street corner meditating on "Mel A Real Programmer" I relized i had forgot.

Mac Agent Connects but wont stay connected ... Update Xamarin Sudio on Mac.

So after digging my mac up from the garden I updated Xamarin Studio on it and my latest wiring war comes to an end. However I do still feel like Entropy is definitely winning the war in the Xamarin product line.

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭

I stopped trying to create iOS apps in visual studio... for iOS dev I use the mac with Xamarin Studio. Stopped trying!

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

The problem is so many moving pieces that have to stay in sync. You have to have the same Xamarin versions on both OSes, need the right Xcode for you Xamarin version, and don't get me started on the mess that is the Android SDK. All it takes is macOS to autoupdate Xcode to the latest version and everything breaks and you won't know why.

• DavidStrickland0DavidStrickland0 USMember ✭✭✭

Oh I agree and I've used the argument in the past to justify the instability. But its just seems worse. Perhaps its the new iOS release and the number of updates that have come out recently to accommodate it.