Add Tint Property To Image

JasonFoxAZJasonFoxAZ USUniversity ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Xamarin.Forms Evolution

Summary

Add a method to the Image View object for applying a tint color to the image

API Changes

In order to facilitate the new Image Tint API, a new method is added to the ImageView class. This method should take a Color as a parameter. A nice to would be data-binding a TintColor property within the ImageViw

var image = new Image ();
image.ApplyTint(Color.Blue); // new API

Intended Use Case

Color coding to show relationships to other areas of app. For example: Colored pins on a MapView that correspond to colored items in an adjacent ListView.
See attached image

1 votes

In Progress · Last Updated

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1255

• TheRealJasonSmithTheRealJasonSmith USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2016

What is the exact PorterDuff blending mode you are expecting here? I'm guessing you envisioning "In"?

Put differently, what happens if I have a green circle which is 25% opaque (mostly see through), and I do:

image.ApplyTint(new Color(1, 1, 1, .5)); // 50% opaque white

There are many viable answers here, each are self consistent:

• Circle is now white, 25% opacity
    • Circle is now white, 12.5% opacity
    • Circle is now a lighter green, 25% opacity

Essentially is the color channel blended or not and are the alpha channels blended or is the source channel just consumed?

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

Does FFImageLoading provide this kind of service? I do believe it has TintTransformation which I haven't used. In general, I'm not in favor of XF making image processing improvements while a dedicated library serves this purpose.

• JasonFoxAZJasonFoxAZ USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks for the replies.

@TheRealJasonSmith Personally I would go with the source channel being consumed, but that's just me.

@AdrianKnight FFImageLoading does have that feature exposed, however, I haven't been able to get it working.

• StephaneDelcroixStephaneDelcroix USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭✭

and I could get rid of my TintedImageRenderer !

• StephaneDelcroixStephaneDelcroix USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭✭

From an API point of view, it probably should be a BindableProperty, and that property should be handled in the redenders

• TheRealJasonSmithTheRealJasonSmith USXamarin Team Xamurai

We like this +1 from the team.

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭

I'd also prefer a BindableProperty to a method.
    And don't forget the ImageCell. If you add it to the Image, then the ImageCell should also get it.

• EmmanuelVazquezEmmanuelVazquez USMember ✭✭

I use FFImageLoading to tint images with the expected behavior. Have you seen the EnableSolidColor property https://github.com/luberda-molinet/FFImageLoading/issues/336#issuecomment-257241009 ? You can always try making an issue with FF to see if the community can help solve your issue or if there is a bug.

• MIFMIF USMember ✭✭

+1 for TintColor bindable property

• tuyenvtuyenv VNUniversity ✭✭✭

+1 for this feature. I am currently using Effect to get this tint color.

• DidsDids FIMember ✭✭

+1 from here too. Any news on this?

• AlanGrgicAlanGrgic USMember

@TheRealJasonSmith @StephaneDelcroix is this still up for grabs? I'd be interested in giving it a go. If so, what branch should I fork / target? Thanks!

• JasonFoxAZJasonFoxAZ USUniversity ✭✭

There is a pretty clean implementation of this feature here: https://github.com/shrutinambiar/xamarin-forms-tinted-image/tree/master/src

Might be worth reaching out to the author - maybe he/she is interested in donating the work...