Library adds extra permissions even though I remove them

Hi,

I'm about to publish an Android app but Xamarin automatically adds the following permissions to my apk file:
READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
I'm using HockeyApp, and they have documented that one feature (that I don't use) require WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: https://github.com/bitstadium/HockeySDK-Android#permissions-advanced

My permissions look like this:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" /> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" /> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" tools:node="remove" /> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" tools:node="remove" />
I have included "xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools".

I have tried:

• Removing the EXTERNAL_STORAGE permissions altogether.
  • Cleaning the project and deleting bin/release folder.
  • Using "tools:node="removeAll" instead of "tools:node="remove".

I'm using Xamarin Studio.

Can you guys point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

Answers

• josemmortegajosemmortega ESUniversity ✭✭✭

@AndreasH do you remove the permission inside manifest and appear again?

• AndreasHAndreasH USMember ✭✭

@josemmortega said:
    @AndreasH do you remove the permission inside manifest and appear again?

Hmm, yes as I pointed out: "I have tried: Removing ... permissions altogether.".
    I only had the network and internet permissions in the project manifest file when I first discovered the issue.

Thanks for replying :)

I still haven't found a solution. Any help is much appreciated.

• scooter_xscooter_x USMember

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue with android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS.

No I didn't :'(

I found this bug report stating that: 'uses-permission tools:node="remove"' does not work as it is supposed to in Xamarin.

• Anyone can help? In my project I also can't remove unused by my app persmissions (READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) in release build.