Stable Channel: Cycle 8 – Service Release 1 plus iOS 10.2 and Xcode 8.2 SDK bindings

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited December 2016 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-updated-cycle-8-service-release-1-w-xcode-8-2-support/ for the details about this release.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "Cycle 8" new bug form if you see any behavior that looks suspicious in these versions (and if it isn't clear whether one of the known issues in the release notes matches the problem).

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior during or after installation, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Remaining known issues from Cycle 8 – Service Release 1

Apart from the specific adjustments for essential Xcode 8.2 compatibility, the known issues in this release are unchanged compared to Cycle 8 – Service Release 1.

• CliffCawleySkeduloCliffCawleySkedulo Cliff Cawley USMember

I upgraded and am now getting the following on the build machine:

MTOUCH: error MT4134: Your application is using the 'Speech' framework, which isn't included in the iOS SDK you're using to build your app (this framework was introduced in iOS 10.0.0, while you're building with the iOS 10.0 SDK.) This configuration is only supported with the legacy registrar (pass --registrar:legacy as an additional mtouch argument in your project's iOS Build option to select). Alternatively select a newer SDK in your app's iOS Build options.

I upgraded because I thought it would help with the out of memory issues I get every hour or so of using the IDE but I think this release was also aimed at targeting Xcode 8.2.

Am I receiving the above error because I'm still on Xcode 8.0?

I think I only get it when building on the command line with:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Commands/xbuild /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=iPhone /p:BuildIpa=true /p:OutputPath=/snip/Release/ /p:DefineConstants= /p:IncludeITunesArtwork=true /p:CodesignKey=iPhone Developer /p:CodesignProvision=Automatic /snip/iOS/MyProject.iOS.csproj

I have to continue with other development work due to deadlines so I'm going to try to downgrade but thought I'd mention it to see if I need to start moving to XCode 8.2

• KevinCryanKevinCryan Kevin Cryan USMember

When I click Check for Updates in Xamarin Studio in my MAC - it finds the update Xamarin.IOS 10.3.0.0. Its says "Updates are downloading. You can close this window...." but nothing happens and after a while it gives an error. See attached. Yesterday I downloaded and updated to Xcode Version 8.2.

Any thoughts?

• Joe.6784Joe.6784 Joe USMember

I've upgraded to Xamarin.iOS 10.3.0.0 and updated xCode to 8.2 and now my Xibs and Storyboards won't open in Xamarin Studio (Community)! Panic! Here are the first couple of lines I am seeing in the error. Filing bug report.

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at MonoTouch.Hosting.CoreSimulatorDeviceConfig.get_Runtime () [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3509/0ccfcd52/source/md-addins/Xamarin.Designer.iOS/external/ios-sim-sharp/MonoTouch.Hosting/CoreSimulatorDeviceConfig.cs:74
    at MonoTouch.Hosting.CoreSimulatorFullSession.CreateNativeSession () [0x00068] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3509/0ccfcd52/source/md-addins/Xamarin.Designer.iOS/external/ios-sim-sharp/MonoTouch.Hosting/CoreSimulatorFullSession.cs:111

• Joe.6784Joe.6784 Joe USMember

AND now it works. Restarted xCode, restarted Xamarin and it seems happy now.

• RicardodeAssuncaoGoncalvesRicardodeAssuncaoGoncalves Ricardo de Assuncao Goncalves USMember

I use Mac in Cloud (macincloud.com) as my Mac Server and after I installed this latest Xamarin today I couldn't connect Visual Studio to the Mac Server using Xamarin Mac Agent. After looking at the latest log files "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Logs" I found the issue:

"The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 10.2) on the Mac XXXX.macincloud.com (XXX.XXX.XX.XX) is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS 10.3."

As I don't have permission to change the Xamarin.iOS version in the Mac in Cloud so I needed to downgrade Xamarin to the previous version in my local windows machine and now It is working again.

To downgrade go to:

https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

Click on "View all versions" -> Xamarin.iOS

• IanNjarIanNjar Ian Nájar USMember
    edited December 2016

Not sure to Update, I still use Xcode 7.3...

• Ben.8645Ben.8645 Ben USMember
    edited December 2016

My solution built fine before update. After updating Visual Studio and updating Xcode to 8.2.1, I now receive:

Your application is using the 'UserNotifications' framework, which isn't included in the iOS SDK you're using to build your app (this framework was introduced in iOS 10.0.0, while you're building with the iOS 10.0 SDK.) This configuration is only supported with the legacy registrar (pass --registrar:legacy as an additional mtouch argument in your project's iOS Build option to select). Alternatively select a newer SDK in your app's iOS Build options.

Adding the registar:legacy to the montouch arguments results in a different error saying that it isn't supported. I'm on a deadline, should I just downgrade?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I'm on a deadline, should I just downgrade?

It looks like:

• The only other recent mention of "isn't included in the iOS SDK" on the forums is from earlier in this thread where Xcode 8.0 might have been involved.

• The aren't any recent StackOverflow posts about "isn't included in the iOS SDK".

• There aren't any recent bug reports about "isn't included in the iOS SDK".

Possible next steps

• There's a chance explicitly un-setting and re-setting the iOS SDK version in the project options might help (see for example this older StackOverflow post).

• If you haven't already, you can double-check that the Xamarin versions on the Mac are all up-to-date on the same updater channel as Xamarin for Visual Studio.

• If neither of those helps, then downgrading might indeed be the best bet when pressed for time.