Android Action Bar Icons. Where? How?

chris_riesgochris_riesgo USUniversity ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Xamarin.Android

For starters, this is a total n00b question, but I'm new to Android development in general and my searching and searching over Stack Overflow isn't giving me the straight and thorough answer that I need.

I own an android device and most of the apps have common iconography in their Action Bar (e.g. - big tall "plus" sign to Create a new something, the 3-lined Navigation Drawer "hamburger", 3-dot overflow menu indicator, left-carat, right-carat, etc.). These icons look exactly the same across many many apps. My question is multi-faceted:

Q1: Are these icons cooked into Android already? If so, how do I find them and what their resource name maps to? Trying every combination of Android.Resource.Drawable.#### to see what the graphic looks like doesn't seem reasonable. Is there a map?

Q2: Are some of these icons NOT included in the framework already and I have to insert them in myself? I've looked at the Android Design documentation, downloaded the design image bundles, but several of these graphics aren't included (the giant +-sign, the 3-lined navigation drawer, and others) and/or are only represented as stencils for design mockups. Where would I get these other icons?

I appreciate the help. I feel senselessly lost on this one.

Navigation Drawer Indicator Icon example

Plus sign and Overflow indicator icon examples

Please reference paragraph 2 for more examples of icons I need.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Q1. No

Q2. Most icons you have to provide yourself. However if you are using the DrawerLayout or SlidingPaneLayout the three lines for the menu comes with it if you use the ActionBarDrawerToggle and set that as the drawer listener.

You can find more icons in the Android Asset Studio. You can also buy a nice icon pack over at AndroidIcons.

• chris_riesgochris_riesgo USUniversity ✭✭✭

Thanks Tomasz. That's just the answer that I needed.

• saulorjsaulorj BRMember

But Tomasz, how about icons like global::Android.Resource.Drawable.IcMenuHelp?
    I mean, can we use these icons in action bar resource menu ?
    Thanks!

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

@saulorj‌ yes they can be used. The difference in how to reference them in your XML file is as follows.

Normally when using your own resources you write:

android:icon="@drawable/icon"

When wanting to use Androids Internal resource you write:

android:icon="@android:drawable/icon"

• saulorjsaulorj BRMember

@cheesebaron exactly! Before reading this post, I was looking for another solution (how to use default icons library of Android) and just use standard icons like @android:drawable/ic_menu_help. Works fine. Thanks!
    Just to help, there is a complete list in Android.R.Drowable that can be used and it´s very helpful.
    Best regards!