Link to Xamarin Account to License Visual Studio Professional

JorgeLeonorJorgeLeonor Jorge LeonorUSMember

Hi,

I have One license Visual Studio 2015 Professional, how to link to Xamarin Account to License Visual Studio Professional or link license VS Professional to IDE Xamarin.

Thank you.

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker ken tucker USMember ✭✭✭✭

Since Microsoft bought Xamarin you do not need a subscription to use it. Why do you need to link your msdn and xamain accounts?

• JorgeLeonorJorgeLeonor Jorge Leonor USMember

Hi, ken tucker thanks for your answer.

To use the professional license and not the community license.

• AlanClarkAlanClark Alan Clark USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You don't need to link your account. Xamarin for Visual Studio will validate against your Visual Studio subscription. There's also no need to sign into your Xamarin account within Visual Studio unless you intend to use the Components Store.

That said, Xamarin Studio on your Mac will show as Community unless you redeem your Xamarin benefit through your Visual Studio subscription page here:

https://my.visualstudio.com/

Once you've redeemed your licence and successfully completed the checkout stage then you can sign into Xamarin Studio on the Mac and this should reflect your subscription level.

• LaurentBugnionLaurentBugnion Laurent Bugnion CHInsider, University ✭✭

Alan, can you please give precise steps on how to link my MSDN Visual Studio Enterprise license to Xamarin? I switched to the Community edition because I cannot find how to link the accounts together. This should be better explained IMHO.

• NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurentBugnion

I tried following the recommended steps but my VS enterprise didn't appear correctly in the Xamarin portal, it took some tweaking on the backend by our CSR to make it make the licences appear correctly. It should read "Visual Studio Enterprise" in your account dashboard. It might be less grief contacting Xamarin to sort it out as the process didn't work for us.

OK thanks. I will check it out. Right now it says Visual Studio Enterprise on Windows, but on the Mac it says Community Edition. It works though so at least I am not blocked.

@LaurentBugnion If you have a Visual Studio subscription it will be here:

https://my.visualstudio.com/

If you have a legacy MSDN subscription then you'll find the benefit here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/manage/

If you don't see the benefit listed to redeem then I'd probably advise contacting your account manager.

• NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanClark

The process didn't work for us when activating the licence for Xamarin Studio on the Mac, also the licences didn't change in the Xamarin portal. It had to be sorted in the backend, this was for transferring from Ultimate to MLS.

@AlanClark I have an MSDN subscription through the Microsoft MVP program (Enterprise). When I log in, it asks me to go to my.visualstudio.com. Then I try to activate the Xamarin subscription. It says "MSDN benefit cannot be redeemed because your organization has multiple Xamarin licenses in use. Please contact hello@xamarin.com to have your licenses transferred." I'll contact them and see if they can sort it out.

@LaurentBugnion Could you please try again for me? I've disabled your expired licences.

@AlanClark seems to work now. Thanks a lot for taking care of it!
  • JorgeLeonorJorgeLeonor Jorge Leonor USMember

@AlanClark Thanks for your answer.

I do not have MSD subscription, I only have the professional visual studio license.

Is there a way to link the Xamarin account or Xamarin Studio on Mac to the professional license without the subscription?

• Richard032Richard032 Richard Sumka CHMember ✭✭

@AlanClark I have an MSDN subscription (Professional). When I log in, to my Xamarin Account, my subscribtion is expired. Then I tryed to activate the Xamarin subscription on https://my.visualstudio.com/benefits. It says "MSDN benefit cannot be redeemed because your organization has multiple Xamarin licenses in use. Please contact hello@xamarin.com to have your licenses transferred."

@RichardSumka Could you try again for me? Alternatively, if you're on the Beta channel (now RC) you can sign in with your VS credentials directly.

• Richard032Richard032 Richard Sumka CHMember ✭✭

@AlanClark Is working now. Thank You !