Forum General

Ran install, ran out of disk space. How much disk space does it take?

karljaykarljay USMember

I did the download, selected everything, install ran out of space. Had to hunt around for where the files where and dumped about 8G.

Q. how much disk space does it take to install?

Q. If I reinstall and it works, will the new install remove all the files that aren't needed from the 1st install attempt.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

What are you installing? Xamarin on Mac, or Visual Studio on Windows?

Both will take up a fair few gigs of space, but by far the worst culprit is the Android SDK, specifically the system images for the different emulators which are huge - over a GB each. If you select everything you will need a LOT of space. Best to install the basics, then only add Android emulator images if needed. There is no real need to select everything, as especially when installing Visual Studio it will install a huge amount of Android emulator images.

• karljaykarljay USMember

@JimBennett said:
    What are you installing? Xamarin on Mac, or Visual Studio on Windows?

Both will take up a fair few gigs of space, but by far the worst culprit is the Android SDK, specifically the system images for the different emulators which are huge - over a GB each. If you select everything you will need a LOT of space. Best to install the basics, then only add Android emulator images if needed. There is no real need to select everything, as especially when installing Visual Studio it will install a huge amount of Android emulator images.

Xamarin via the "Xarmirn installer" I'm new to Xamarin, but I thought VS was the editor, Are there two IDE's?

Basically what I need is to write C# code for mobile and I already know C#. I'm guessing Xarmirn by itself would do that. I don't know that I need more than 1 sim for Android.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

There are 2 IDEs - on Mac you use Xamarin Studio (or Visual Studio for mac), on Windows it's Visual Studio.

If you install on Mac it just installs the minimum you need, if you install on Windows Visual Studio installs a lot more, and if you tick all the options you get a huge amount of stuff you don't need, such as extra simulators. Just need to tick the cross platform mobile development box and not manually select al the items in it.

• karljaykarljay USMember

@JimBennett said:
    There are 2 IDEs - on Mac you use Xamarin Studio (or Visual Studio for mac), on Windows it's Visual Studio.

If you install on Mac it just installs the minimum you need, if you install on Windows Visual Studio installs a lot more, and if you tick all the options you get a huge amount of stuff you don't need, such as extra simulators. Just need to tick the cross platform mobile development box and not manually select al the items in it.

Thanks Jim!
    Looks like I got it running. Xamairn Studio Ver 6.1 I'm going to start running some tutorials. I'm looking at the Xamarin "Building cross-platofrm native apps... " on YouTube. They're dated 2015 so they should work great.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Install was a bit rough, but looks good (for now :D).

Glad you got it working.