Forum Xamarin.Forms

[Localization] Xamarin Forms Localization resx needs to manually add elements in each language resx

Hi, I've followed Xamarin Forms Localization Process https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/advanced/localization/ , then I found out each time I want to add an element(string) e.g. MainPageTitle in resx, I have to manually add it( MainPageTitle) into each language resx file. That's really frustrating. If I have 10 languages files, which means for adding every string I have to do it 10 times.

My questions are:
Did I do it wrong or it's normal behaviour?
The native localization works better? Can I use the native localization strings in Forms?

Cheers

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

That's normal. Where did you expect the translations to come from if you don't provide them?

• RayQuRayQu NZMember

@Clint StLaurent
    Thanks for your reply. I expected to just write once, e.g. MainPageTitle = "MainPageTitle" in a base resx, and then you compile it and it will generate the MainPageTitle = "" in every resx. So that you will only need to do the translation at some point. Imagine that for every single string, you need to copy and past 10 times. In each page, it may have more than 10 strings which means you have to copy and past 100 times (10 * 10) and half of my time will spend on copy and past instead of writing some actual code.

• RayQuRayQu NZMember

@Vulcan , Thx for it. Do you if there is Mac version? I am using xamarin studio. Cheers.

• VulcanVulcan TWMember ✭✭✭

@RayQu

This package only support for Windows.