Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Android

How to use Fingerprint API for marshmallow below devices?

I am trying to integrate fingerprint API in 4.1 jelly bean and above but according to android documentation API was introduced only from 6.0 and above.
Is there any app compact library/support library to handle this.
An example to achieve it will be wonderful.
I tried fingerprint guide sample from mono samples but not working on older versions even tried changing minimum sdk version.

Best Answer

Answers

• BerayBentesenBerayBentesen TRUniversity ✭✭✭✭

@ranjitr The FingerprintManager APIs target devices with a fingerprint scanner and are running API level 23 (Android 6.0) or higher according to Xamarin documentation. I also checked other resources and couldn't any info about backward compatibility.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why you want to support a finger print sensor for Jellybean. You're not got to find any devices with a fingerprint sensor that are running Jellybean. If you're using the standard Android API, the minimum OS is Android 6.0 as that's when biometrics was introduced.

On Samsung devices, Samsung implemented their own fingerprint technology with Android 5.0 (I believe), but they use their own proprietary SDK for fingerprint sensors. I think since Android 6.0, they may have switched over to using the standard Android API for fingerprint sensors.

• BerayBentesenBerayBentesen TRUniversity ✭✭✭✭

@rmacias good point. I see many people that efforts to support quite old platforms.