MSDN Enterprise Required?

NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

I didn't read much past this statement in Nina's article , I stopped there! Verified at the Xamarin Profiler page. This is not the Xamarin way! Guess I'll stay with the free tools offered by Xcode.

How many here have MSDN "Enterprise" aka extremely expensive licenses? Not many I'm sure meaning not many will use the new Xamarin Profiler if this is in fact true.

• OliverMOliverM USMember

First of all I love Xamarin. But I can't understand that limitation either. When I started with Xamarin.iOS I wasn't conscious about the importance of a memory efficient implementation and that there are some quirks with Xamarin that should be kept in mind like cyclical references.

Over time I learned that memory management is a central aspect (!) and it should be taken into account from the beginning. It would be important that developers especially beginners get all help and tools that are required to handle this issue.

Otherwise in my opinion there is a chance that users get frustrated by this complex topic and turn their back on Xamarin what I don't hope because Xamarin really is a great product all in all.

• +1 to that.
    It is absurd that such basic tool is not bundled.

• 1 for that. The profiler should be included in the professional version. It is such an essential tool.
  • Memory management issues are devastating in mobile apps, I would estimate that I spent 25% of my first large project on memory issues. This is a critical issue for Xamarin!

• Ron.SijmRon.Sijm USMember ✭✭

+1 before it went out of alpha / beta the tool worked fine with the community edition of visual studio. So there is no technical reason to require MSDN Enterprise accounts.

Is this because Microsoft bought xamarin, and now they're implementing money grabs for what used to be free tools? Cause from a xamarin standalone point of view there's no reason behind it...

• Ron.SijmRon.Sijm USMember ✭✭

I found a way to get it to work!

• Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin\Profiler
    • Create a shortcut of XamarinProfiler.exe
    • In the target field, change the target field to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin\Profiler\XamarinProfiler.exe" --type=android --target=com.app.whatever|md5a8c5708152e37a84aeff6582354cdc96.MainActivity --device=5252c2de --options=name:"Samsung SM-A300FU" (Quotes included)

You can find your deviceid (5252c2de) by running "adb devices -l"
    You can find your md5 hash (md5a8c5708152e37a84aeff6582354cdc96) in obj\Debug\acw-map.txt

• chrisg32chrisg32 USMember

I understand the need to charge for software and tools. Fine. The problem I have is the pricing difference between Enterprise and Professional. I am not a company. I am an independent software developer. As such I can afford and would be willing to pay for $49 a month for Professional; however, I cannot justify $250 a month for Enterprise. Why the 500% price jump?

Why can't the profiler be part of Professional.

• PrullebakPrullebak NLMember ✭✭

@chrisg32 same question. Why does this really essential tool needs to be in the most expensive plan.. Single developers or small teams can't afford this.

• ThomasHagenThomasHagen USUniversity

If you think that being able to profile your Xamarin app is a priority, I would recommend showing your support as a developer by voting for it on the Xamarin Platform Suggestions form:

https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-platform-suggestions/suggestions/18625141-make-xamarin-profiler-available-for-professional-s