Is USB Remoting available within the latest VS update ?

Eager to try but have to be sure that it's available before trying to configure the windows environment.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@prashantvc said:
    USB remoting is not available at the moment, and we do not have an ETA for it.

You can keep an eye on http://releases.xamarin.com/ for updates

Any movement on this? It was demo'd a year ago. I'm fairly certain I remember this working on my desk in some pre-release update that came out - for about a week - then was gone with the next update. (I could be mis-remembering that too, just to be fair).

You'd think something demo'd a year ago would have already been close to release. So where do we stand on what could be an awesome tool for everyone using MacInCloud and other remote mac build solutions.

• marikatzmarikatz Member ✭✭

It is a very desirable feature, is there something new about it?

edited April 2018

@DavidOrtinau
    @marikatz

Wow... Is it April again?
    So... Another year and another person would love to see this. Any official comment on bringing back this feature?

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

The latest Visual Studio 2017 stable release supports WiFi debugging to iOS devices. You can debug straight to your iOS device over WiFi, no cables required:
    https://blog.xamarin.com/lose-cables-make-deploying-ios-tvos-device-easier/

@PierceBoggan said:
    The latest Visual Studio 2017 stable release supports WiFi debugging to iOS devices. You can debug straight to your iOS device over WiFi, no cables required:

Am I reading the article wrong - Or is this only available to Visual Studio for Mac?
    The point to the USB remoting was that I could plug the iPad into the Windows machine I am developing on and have it be connectioned to the host build mac virtually. And thus debug to the iOS device from my Windows Visual Studio environment. So the mac to could be in a closet or in the cloud and not have to be sitting on my desk taking up real estate.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

@PierceBoggan you still need a cable at least once, because you still need to connect the device once to the mac to register it in xcode.

And this only works for devices with iOS 11 or newer.

In my case i have the Mac and the PC in the same network connected over VPN. After I pair a device with Xcode, would i be able to deploy the app from my PC?

and also will it work with Xamarin? Thanks!

@marikatz said:
    and also will it work with Xamarin? Thanks!

Yes - that's what we're talking about... Xamarin USB remoting of iOS phone/tablet.

It was demo'd back in 2016 and worked great (for me at least) for the short time it was available - then it just disappeared and was pulled out of subsequent releases. The only claim I heard was that it was laggy for some people. My response is "There poor quality wifi are their problems." Because in a real environment with grown-up quality gear it was damned near instantaneous.

I suspect it didn't fit someone's plans for there previewer app etc. It just worked too well and somehow or another cut into something else someone had on their roadmap. I'm guessing to be honest. But I can think of no other reason to just turn off a feature like that.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@ClintStLaurent said:

@PierceBoggan said:

Am I reading the article wrong - Or is this only available to Visual Studio for Mac?
    The point to the USB remoting was that I could plug the iPad into the Windows machine I am developing on and have it be connectioned to the host build mac virtually. And thus debug to the iOS device from my Windows Visual Studio environment. So the mac to could be in a closet or in the cloud and not have to be sitting on my desk taking up real estate.

Yes. This works with Visual Studio on Windows. You do have a one-time setup where you have to plug the device into the Mac, but after that you're golden.

@PierceBoggan
    What? USB Remoting... Plugging the iOS tablet into the Windows PC, and still debugging the iOS project... Is working currently? The I knew/heard it had been dropped because Xamarin was not happy with the perfermance.

But if its working I'm THRILLED. You say there is a one-time setup. Is there a link to a modern setup instructions (VS2017, current configurations etc.) that you can share?

USB remoting is not quite the same as what's being described here:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/326731/#Comment_326731

USB remoting works by plugging your physical device into a Windows machine. WiFi debugging works via WiFi. As long as your Mac and iPhone are on the same network, you can deploy from Windows to your iPhone without plugging your iPhone into your Mac.

Instructions can be found here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/wireless-deployment?tabs=vswin

My point was that the effect was the same as USB debugging - you can deploy to your iOS device without having to have your Mac on your desk.

edited June 2018

@PierceBoggan

Ah. Yeah. I was talking about remote USB. I do wifi debugging all day long every day. Right now. Our app controls a USB scanner and thus we have to wifi debug.

My point was that the effect was the same as USB debugging - you can deploy to your iOS device without having to have your Mac on your desk.

I love that optimism. Its not quite the same. For one, USB remoting can take place on a wired gigabit network without the flakiness of wifi. There's few things as annoying as wifi debugging when someone in the IT department decides to power-cycle the access-points in the middle of the day. Deployment to a mac on a wired network, and to a USB connected device was a TON faster than deployment to a wifi iPad - probably in part due to the cross over from copper to wireless sub-nets. Though, to be fair I haven't done that in about a year - so maybe those insufferable delays in iOS deployment have gotten better.