Best way to launch Hololens application from Xamarin.Forms

BenColemanBenColeman USMember ✭✭

I have an app for data search and visualization I've developed using Xamarin.Forms. I want to be able to start a HoloLens visualization I've developed using UrhoSharp.Forms from the Xam app. Not sure really where to start.

Also, being able to pass data directly to the new application would be ideal.

Best Answer

Answers

• EgorBoEgorBo BYXamarin Team ✭✭✭

@BenColeman
    not really follow the question,
    does this sample help? https://github.com/xamarin/urho-samples/tree/master/SmartHome

• BenColemanBenColeman USMember ✭✭

@EgorBo Sort of . . . I want the Xamarin.Forms app (installed on HoloLens) to start and switch to another app on the HoloLens.

I like the QR code solution to getting a host's IP address to the HoloLens. I will have to deploy a HoloLens app in an environment where there's no wireless, or wired, LAN. I'm planning to try and route communication through the USB connection, but I have no idea how to do this.

• EgorBoEgorBo BYXamarin Team ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I want the Xamarin.Forms app (installed on HoloLens) to start and switch to another app on the HoloLens.

@BenColeman still is not clear for me

Anyway you can connect your hololens with a smartphone via Wi-fi (smartphone as a hotspot) or Bluetooth (not sure about it, never tried on HoloLens) anywhere.

• BenColemanBenColeman USMember ✭✭

I've researched this a little bit more. The path I'm currently pursuing is to use Device.OpenUri() in Xamarin.Forms to launch the HoloLens application from another application. I read here that data or parameters can be passed to the app that is being launched using deep linking. However, because the HoloLens examples I've seen use the Main() method, I'm not sure how to retrieve the values of the parameters I passed.

For example, if I called the following:

Device.OpenUri( new Uri( "holodemo:?fname=ben&lname=coleman) );

How would I access the parameter values in holodemo once it's launched?