Android design

Hi,
Can you please suggest me how to design android apps using Xamarin studio. I am very new here. Any tool is available for that so that a C# developer can design a good UI for android apps.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

It is unclear what you are asking about here. Why not just use the built in Designer? It does all you need. "Good UI" is very subjective and differs from person to person you ask.

• IndrajeetIndrajeet INMember

Hi,
    I have xamarin studio, in this framework i have tool box, i can drag and drop the controls, but its adjustment is very difficult. Suppose i drag one label and after that i want to drag one text box beside the label, it is very difficult for me proper adjustment. I am used to Microsoft visual studio so in this framework, we can arrange every control easily. No need to go to source code of the page, like that i am asking without go to source code means .axml, i need to arrange our controls using the help of xamarin studio. Please tell me any other tools are also there for proper design and controls arrangement. My concern is proper arrangement of controls only, i am not expecting look and feel design, that is other issues.

There is really no better editor available. I think the Xamarin one is basically on par with the one found in Android Studio.

• DWestyDWesty USMember ✭✭

Ehh i'll disagree with Cheesebaron I think the editor in Android studio is considerably better than what is included in Xamarin. I would atleast give it a try

@DWesty I will agree to disagree as it is a matter of opinion. But I can agree on that both of them are bad :D It is either plague or cholera.

Thanks your opinion.

But i want any tricks, clue so that i can manage.....
    Please tell me how you people manage to work with design issue...
    awaiting for response...

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

To some extent you will need to become familiar with how axml works and its syntax. That is to say to understand how the different containers lay out the controls in them, how to space the controls, etc. Due to the nature of the screens involved the elements tend to be dynamically positioned instead of a static positioning of the controls you may be used to in some other formats.

If it makes you feel better (it probably won't) the UX tooling is waaaay better than it was two years ago.

So I guess the trick is that you will need to have some understanding of axml and switch to that view and change some of the attributes directly.

oh! Thanks. I need to do some hard work...

If work isn't hard or challenging, is it even worth it?

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

What @KevinFord said, but the only thing that is Xamarin specific is the Layout Designer within Xamarin Studio/Visual Studio. The XML code is all basic Android layout design. In order to effectively use the designer, you have you understand how the different layouts work. It's different from Windows Forms, etc. Once you understand it, it'll make sense. And to be quite honest, once I understood it, I actually prefer to write out the XML rather than use the designer. The designer tends to "get in my way" and I'm much more efficient doing it by hand.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/declaring-layout.html

yea, its useful for me to getting designing idea.

Thanks Ruben